Thursday, November 04, 2021

Poetry Friday: I didn't know I was a dog person

Recently, my sister lost a beloved dog and I sent her Mary Oliver's Dog Songs. I hoped that it would comfort her, offer her a bit of solace and a smattering of beauty in the midst of grief. I was happy when she said it did all that. 

What I didn't know, in early September, was that as October ended I would be in sore need of Dog Songs, too. 

Mary Oliver was more than a dog lover, she was a dog chronicler, a dog bard, a recorder of all things dog-like and lovely. 

Oliver hung out with her dogs, talked to them, and extrapolated poetry from their existence. This is from one of her imagined talks with her dog Ricky, during which they were watching a dog show on TV: 


“If I ever meet one of these dogs I’m going
to invite him to come here, where he can
be a proper dog.”

Okay, I said. But remember, you can’t fix
everything in the world for everybody.

“However,” said Ricky, “you can’t do
anything at all unless you begin. Haven’t
I heard you say that once or twice, or
maybe a hundred times?”

You can't do anything at all unless you begin.

Eleven and a half years ago, we began something. We became dog owners (Dog adopters? Caretakers? Dog companions?) for the first time. I was fifty years old and I'd never had a dog, but my girls had always wanted one. Ramona was eight, Betsy was fourteen, Anne-with-an-e sixteen. Atticus had never wanted a dog. I was kiiiiiind of open to it, but unsure, so we played good cop/bad cop. I'd say, "Well, I'm open to a dog, but your dad will never say yes." That was my safety net. Then one day, the girls were looking at the shelter website, cooing over a pretty border collie/cattle dog mix, and Atticus walked past them, looked at the screen, and said, "Do you guys want that dog?" They responded with a resounding "Yes!" and he said, "Okay, I guess we could get that dog." 

Wait. I thought we were playing good cop/bad cop? Now the bad cop was on their side? 

We were getting a dog. 

She was living at a no-kill shelter. Her name was Sydney; she was about two years old, but no one knew for sure. She had been adopted once and then returned to the shelter. Sydney was a little neurotic, kind of OCD, and, well, maybe not quite as smart as the average border collie/shepherd mix, but what she lacked in smarts and go-getter attitude she made up for in sweetness. "She just loves to be with her people," the shelter owner told us. 


I've always been a cat person. When I was growing up, cats were omnipresent. Tabbies and calicos, kittens, and big toms. I've always loved cats. When Sydney came to live with us, we had a cat. (We still have Mr. Putter. He's 18 and going strong, aside from a little thyroid medication. He can be so sweet, and also jerky, but we love him anyway.)  



I knew cats. They were quiet and low-maintenance. We could leave them alone for a day or two when we went out of town. They didn't demand to go outside in a blizzard. On the other hand, I didn't know how to live with a dog. Dogs, as sweet and cute as they can be, can also be gross and horrible and loud and sloppy. And there was just all that stuff that I'd never thought of. Every time we planned a trip, I'd forget to schedule boarding. We started buying food in 40-pound bags. Do you know how heavy those are? (I know. Forty pounds.) Everything about dog life was new, but Sydney began teaching me. We started walking together. She went with us when we did our version of camping. (A fully equipped cabin, thank you.) 



There isn't really much more to tell. I became Sydney's alpha, she became my dog. She was, of course, also Ramona's, Betsy's, and Anne-with-an-e's beloved dog. Atticus scared her at first — not because of anything he did, of course, but because she was frightened of men in general. It took her years to stop barking at him every time he headed to the basement. (What did someone do to this poor dog in a basement? I can't think about it.) It took her several years to stop protecting me every time Atticus approached me. (What did someone do to a woman in front of this poor dog? I can't think about that either.) She never got over her fear of fly swatters, so suffice to say that we simply didn't swat flies in front of her. We were patient with her and she was patient with us. I just didn't know I was a dog person until I was a Sydney person. 

Before any of us knew it, she was old. Her jet-black cheeks, her eyebrows, her lashes were gray. She moved a little more gingerly. Our three-mile walks hadn't been happening for several years. Now I walked her for a little while in the morning, dropped her off at home, headed back out on my own. 


But she was fine! Or so we thought, until she swiftly, suddenly wasn't. We had to tell our sweet girl goodbye last week. On Poetry Friday, October 29th, we held her for the last time. 

This next part is going to sound so utterly sentimental. If you can't stand dog stories, avert your eyes now and don't say I didn't warn you. Friday night, after buckets of tears that I never thought I'd be capable of shedding over a dog — gross, loud, sloppy creatures! — I had a dream. In my dream, it was snowing. The kind of exquisitely soft, fluffy snow Syd loved. I went to the front door and there she was. "Sydney!" I cried out, "What are you doing here? You're supposed to be at the vet! How did you get here?" I reached out but she was gone, happily bounding out of sight, out of reach, but calling over her shoulder, "I'll be back!" 

(I warned you.) 


You can't do anything at all unless you begin. 

~ Ricky, 
and Mary Oliver

I'm so grateful I began with Sydney. 

~~~~~~~~~~

The Poetry Friday round-up is being hosted this week by the incomparable Mary Lee Hahn at A(nother) Year of Reading


Sydney, last year on Valentine's Day,
looking toward the future.

27 comments:

Tabatha said...

What a lovely post about how you became a dog person...Sydney was beautiful.

jama said...

Such a beautiful heartfelt post. So sorry about the loss of Sydney. Thanks so much for sharing all about her. I'm not a dog owner but love Dog Songs just the same. Like you, I love Oliver's conversations with Ricky. She's brilliant at showing a dog's deep, instinctive knowing, and the singular relationships they have with humans.

elli said...

A dear post. I am so sorry for your loss, it leaves a big hole when our animal companions die! 🕊

We never had a dog as I was raising my family. Now the youngest, my 19yo (he and I plan to share a home on thru the decades) wants a dog and ... we'll see. (Certainly not until we can afford vets and food etc) ... one day.

Janice Scully said...

I'm sorry for your loss, but I think it's great you took the plunge and gave yourself this experience. He looks like he became a beloved member of your family. I often regret that my sons never had a dog. Oh well.

Mary Lee said...

You wrote this so beautifully -- a prose poem, I think -- that I stayed with you right to the end, with tears sliding down my face, remembering the dog that made me a dog person, and pre-mourning the inevitable loss of our current dog-cat. Their lives are short, but they make us better humans when we let them ("gross, loud, sloppy creatures!") into our homes and hearts.

skanny17 said...

I was warned but I continued any way. I am so so sorry for your loss. So very hard and so unexpected, but she did not suffer. You wrote this so beautifully. I don't know how you did it. We have a beloved grandchild. She's an aussie/sheltie mix, a rescue at age 2 who was saved by my dil and son, and looks more like a collie of sorts. She is beautiful inside and out and smart and loving. I don't know how to prepare myself for her loss. She adores her family. Adores. She speaks to me with her eyes. We communicate. I am so glad you began with Sydney. We have not owned a pet for years. Our travels made it impossible. Family too far away. We were cat lovers (and are) but have not had one since our beloved's death in 1986. There is a lot of missing and memory bathed in love. PS I have never been a dog person and fear strange dogs. Seriously bad fear, sadly. (Bitten, chased as a child, but if I go to your house I can make friends and I will try.) Sydney will have many friends after this post. Your dream....oh my goodness, I am still crying.
Janet Clare F.

tanita✿davis said...

Well, now I'm going to cry, too.
What a lovely dream.

I thought I was a cat person, but Himself and I both grew up with dogs until we had one cat - which we, of course, named TC. That Cat, like the Disney movie. I'm holding out for a dog again, someday, but I don't know if my heart can take a loss like yours. Sending such a big hug. ♥

Linda B said...

Well, first, you just made me cry. I've said goodbye to many a dog, but the dalmatian I gave my husband early in our marriage became our special love, & my husband, like you, Karen, had never had a dog. He learned all about them, too, & we both cried many years later when it was time for goodbye. My son-in-law & daughter now have their third cattle dog & they are interesting but as you described Sydney I think of their dogs, quirky & ever so loyal. It is such a special post, heartbreaking with love. (I love Dog Songs, too!)

Linda Mitchell said...

Karen, I lost "my" (actually the family's)border-collie/cattle dog mix in July and the grief has been like no other I've known. We had to make a hard decision to end her pain. This post opened up my heart. I've cried AGAIN and understood more than you can imagine. Our border-aussie was the love of our family life. She was the most loyal, kinda neurotic, sweetheart on the planet with us. I wish I had some wiser words...but I'm sorry for your loss. I get it. And, I need to go get a tissue. Thanks for this post.

KatApel - katswhiskers.wordpress.com said...

Awwww. Sydney. So sorry to hear of your awful sadness, Karen - but so glad you had such beautiful days with Sydney. I often express my sadness still, about not having our JontyPuppy - and we lost him 5yrs ago. We've loved and lost numerous pets in that time, but there is just something special about a dog.

Rose Cappelli said...

Thank you so much for sharing this post, Karen. It was worth crying over, for sure. Dogs are such special companions who teach us so much. We also have a rescue and, like you, shudder to think about why he's afraid of certain things (like feet and shoes). Love to you and your family and your precious Sydney.
P.S. I am a big Mary Oliver fan.

Karen Edmisten said...

Thank you, Tabatha.❤️

Karen Edmisten said...

Thank you, Jama. Yes, Oliver, as she so often does, hits home.

Karen Edmisten said...

Thank you, Penelope. Vet bills, food, and other costs are legitimate concerns, not to be taken lightly. Wishing for the best solution for you and your son, whatever that may be.

Karen Edmisten said...

Thanks, Janice. Beloved indeed!

Karen Edmisten said...

Aw, thank you, Mary Lee. Yes, I said to my daughters, "I'm a better person for having had Sydney in my life." We're dreading the passing of our cat — he's 18! :) He was in such a deep sleep the other day that he scared us and Ramona told him, "No, you are not allowed to even think about the next life right now."

Karen Edmisten said...

Thank you so much, Janet. We had to make the very difficult decision, when Sydney was suddenly failing, to have her put to sleep but, yes, that prevented any prolonged suffering. And ues, those aussie eyes! :) It's understandable that you fear strange dogs after such a trauma as a child, but how lovely that you're so close to your son and daughter-in-law's sweet dog!

Karen Edmisten said...

Oh, Tanita, sending a hug back. ❤️ Yes, it's hard to think about the inevitable goodbyes (our cat is 18 yo) although I wouldn't trade our years with Sydney for anything. I know she made me a nicer, more patient person. :) xo

Karen Edmisten said...

Thank you, Linda, and oh, what a hard goodbye that must have been for you and your husband. Yes, "quirky and ever so loyal" is right. :) And thank goodness for Mary Oliver.

Karen Edmisten said...

Linda, I'm so sorry about the loss of your dog, too! ❤️ I knew I loved Sydney but the level of grief has indeed surprised me. I'm not surprised that you would cry again several months later ... they become a part of our families, a part of us. Did your dog resemble Sydney? I would love to see a picture. ❤️

Karen Edmisten said...

Thank you so much, Kat. Yes, my sister has always had dogs and I knew how special they were to her, but this is the first time I've lost one. But as you said, I'm so glad about the beautiful days. :)

Karen Edmisten said...

Rose, oh, my goodness, your poor dog with a fear of feet and shoes...I shudder indeed! But how lucky he is to have you now. ❤️Love to you and yours, too.

Heidi Mordhorst said...

I love the way this story unfolded, Karen, and how you touched this dogs-no-thank-you heart of mine. Your lovely dream of snowy closure is a gift forever, I think. Bound in peace, Sydney!

Elisabeth said...

We had a four-footed-family-member who was similar - clearly had been mistreated by someone (a man), but oh the love and loyalty she had for my husband, once she learned she could trust him. I recently bought Dog Poems, and they always bring happy nods of recognition as I read them. My condolences to all of you as you adjust to the space your beloved Sydney's absence has left in your lives.

Karen Edmisten said...

Thanks, Heidi. I understand the "dogs-no-thank-you" heart. :) I don't know if I'll ever have another, but I wouldn't trade our years with Sydney for anything. :)

Karen Edmisten said...

Thank you, Elisabeth. Yes, the trust was a long timing coming, but once it was there, it was solid. :) Thanks for the condolences.

Ruth said...

Oh, what a beautiful dream! I love how comfort comes through dreams. It happens so often for me.