Thursday, October 28, 2021

Poetry Friday: In Heaven It is Always Autumn


"In Heaven It is Always Autumn," how do I love thee? Let me count the ways. 

First, I love thee because any poem that links autumn and heaven is intrinsically right and just. 

Second, I love thee for lines such as these:


It is the last of many last days. Is it enough?
To rest in this moment? To turn our faces to the sun?
To watch the lineaments of a world passing?


Third, I love thee because thou art the brainchild of Elizabeth Spires, the author of The Mouse of Amherst, a book which holds the Emily-est of memories for our family. 

I hope this poem settles in your bones the same way a quintessential autumn day settles in, deep and golden and passing, but with the promise of warmth and unfolding regeneration in faraway days to come.


In Heaven It Is Always Autumn
by Elizabeth Spires

"In Heaven It Is Always Autumn" ~~ John Donne

In heaven it is always autumn. The leaves are always near
to falling there but never fall, and pairs of souls out walking
heaven's paths no longer feel the weight of years upon them.
Safe in heaven's calm, they take each other's arm,
the light shining through them, all joy and terror gone.
But we are far from heaven here, in a garden ragged and unkept
as Eden would be with the walls knocked down,

....

(Read the rest here.) 

~~~~~~~~~~

Read more about Elizabeth Spires here, and head over to the Poetry Friday roundup, which is being hosted this week by the lovely Linda Baie at TeacherDance

15 comments:

Linda Mitchell said...

Oh, my goodness. This poem is new to me and it's so beautiful. I've copied this one in my notebook. That image of the sun pulling the long souls out of everything is perfect and haunting and wow. Thanks for sharing this.

Liz Garton Scanlon said...

I can just see the light-at-a-slant in this poem. Lovely!!

Tabatha said...

I feel like that poem took me on a whole journey, perhaps a journey of a year or a lifetime. Definitely worth a re-read. Thanks, Karen.

jama said...

Exquisite poem (new to me). Thanks so much for sharing! Haven't read Donne in ages and this was such a gift. Still sighing over the many beautiful, deeply felt, thought provoking lines . . .

Linda B said...

I know it, but it reminds me of the October we've had this year, though rain is needed, it has meant a heaven of an autumn. Just a day or so ago, a bigger wind swept down more leaves, but many continue to cling and glow. Thank you, Karen, and for those special wishes, too. Happy Autumn in your own "heaven"!

tanita✿davis said...

Oh. My. WORD.
The light is gold...
This was TRULY lovely - and I do love that Donne quote. What a stunner of a poem.

Janice Scully said...

I agree, a stunner of a poem! Thanks your for sharing this. I would love to read more by her. So grateful so many of her poems are on line.

Karen Eastlund said...

I love autumn even more now, having read this poem. Thank you so much for sharing it, Karen. Gorgeous.

Linda Kulp Trout said...

Karen, autumn has always been my favorite season. Thank you for sharing this lovely poem!

Mary Lee said...

Oh, that ending! It makes tears spring into my eyes. The heaven of old love, of the autumn years of life...yes.

**sigh** Thanks. I'll try to read it to hubby without crying, but I doubt if I'll make it all the way through. And neither will he, which is one of the reasons I love him so much!

Joyce Ray said...

“My friend, you have led me farther than I have ever been.” I love this line and the whole poem. It’s worth keeping to savor again. Thank you for sharing this one!

Elisabeth said...

A beautiful poem - thanks for sharing it with us today.

Ruth said...

Such a beautiful poem!

Jone said...

The poem is stunning. A perfect autumn poem

laurasalas said...

This is wonderful. I agree--anything that ties heaven and autumn together...swoon.