Friday, February 01, 2008

And one more for Poetry Friday: My Groundhog Day Shrinklit

Did I say I didn't feel much like talking?

Strike that.

If you've never seen Groundhog Day, let me just say, it's a treat.

It's thoughtful (and even theological, if you view it with a certain eye) and sweet, romantic and funny, and full of Bill Murray. I love Bill Murray (this Bill Murray, that is ... not the Bill Murray of, oh, say, "Caddyshack.")

But, back to this movie.

I wrote this little "shrinklit" about it a couple of years ago. Remember Shrinklits? They were funny, succinct little retellings of classic works. Here's my version, and best wishes for either six more weeks of winter, or perhaps only a month and a half.

Karen's Groundhog Day Shrinklit

Phil: at first, a selfish jerk
Focused on his fun and work
Women were a toy or game
Till every day became the same.

Quite suddenly, no rules apply
Steal some money, tell a lie
Nihilism's worth a spin
until despair comes crashing in

Suicide just didn't take
Surely something is at stake
Could it be that it is worth
Striving for a true rebirth?

Self improvement: worth a try?
Though all past ways it does defy?
Selflessness for its own sake?
Letting go of all that's fake?

Helping, saving, giving, tears
Authentic feelings, first in years
Letting go of all that's old
Lets in truth, releases cold

Something genuine and kind
Allows this man his best to find
Is this conversion? God at work?
Or one colossal cosmic quirk?

8 comments:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Oh I love Groundhog Day, one of my favorite movies. Your shrinklit is quite fun, too. I think you captured what it is about the movie that makes me want to watch it over and over. In fact, I'm feeling a strong urge to go watch it again right now. SAdly, we don't own a copy.

Beck said...

It's on our to-watch list this weekend, too!

Greg Pincus said...

I, too, love Shrinklits! They inspired my Oddaptations, but it's really great to see 'em used for movies. Fun stuff!

Nancy Arruda said...

Groundhog Day! I once watched it twice back-to back. Must have been a cosmic quirk : )

Anonymous said...

I so love the movie Groundhog Day that in my head, those two words always sound like the DJs hollering it on the radio.

The Shrinklit is fun!

Connie's Daughter said...

Thanks for introducing me to shrinklits! I love the Goundhog Day one!

If you are a Bill Murray fan, you ought to see The Razor's Edge (1984), based on the novel by Somerset Maugham. Note that it has mature themes and the movie takes an eastern approach to enlightenment. In my mind, though, it could have been done with Christian themes. Universal truth is exactly that, after all.

Karen Edmisten said...

I love Maugham's Razor's Edge, and I loved Bill Murray dearly for making the movie. :-)

Karen Edmisten said...

And thanks, all for your kind comments on the shrinklit! It was fun to write.