Thursday, September 12, 2024

Poetry Friday: Wendell Berry


I don't have much to add to this one, other than:

1. It's Wendell Berry. Win/win. 
2. It's lovely imagery. 
3. It's Wendell Berry


Before Dark
by Wendell Berry

From the porch at dusk I watched
a kingfisher wild in flight
he could only have made for joy.

He came down the river, splashing
against the water’s dimming face
like a skipped rock, passing

on down out of sight. And still
....

(Read the rest here.) 

~~~~~~~~~~


Apparently, I often think of Wendell Berry in September, and Heidi often hosts in September, because three years ago, I shared another Berry poem on the day she hosted. Berry-endipity


17 comments:

Heidi Mordhorst said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Heidi Mordhorst said...

Berryendipitous indeed! This Wendell-wonder is new to me and I thank you for sending it down the river to me,
"splashing
against the water’s dimming face
like a skipped rock".
Made for joy!

Linda B said...

I can only echo Heidi, the passage I chose, too. I've seen them & "like a skipped rock" is in my mind's eye, too. Thanks for sharing another beautiful scene from Wendell Berry, Karen!

jama said...

SO lovely! Thanks for sharing this one (new to me). Needed this moment of calm and beauty.

elli said...

Love Wendell Berry. Love love. I've got one of his Sabbath collections in my current Morning Prayer bookstack. Am eagerly awaiting his newest! And, love kingfishers too. I've got a lovely art sketch of one hanging in my Chapel 🥰

Jane @ www.raincitylibrarian.ca said...

I have to believe that animals know the feeling of true joy - to watch them soar and swim and play, they must!

Carol Varsalona said...

Karen, you ended the poem as a dangling cliff hanger. Great move!

Karen Edmisten said...

Heidi, made for joy indeed!!

Karen Edmisten said...

Linda, entirely my pleasure!

Karen Edmisten said...

I needed it too, Jama, so I'm happy to spread the calm and the beauty.

Karen Edmisten said...

elli, how lovely! Kingfishers are beautiful.

Karen Edmisten said...

Jane, I agree completely. One need only observe them to see and feel that they do!

Karen Edmisten said...

Carol, ha! It's Wendell Berry clickbait. :D

Rose Cappelli said...

Thank for, Karen! What beautiful images Berry paints with words.

Patricia Franz said...

I love "Somewhere/the night had accommodated him" -- beauty in mystery.

Mary Lee said...

You pick the best poems. Happy sigh.

Margaret Simon said...

On hard days, it is nice to focus on a small moment such as this.