Thursday, September 02, 2021

Poetry Friday: September 2 by Wendell Berry

 
 
It's a Wendell Berry kind of week. I'm reading Jayber Crow, which I'm liking and expect to love, as I adored Hannah Coulter. 

This week, I'm sharing Berry's "September 2." It's an observation of the season, but also a poignant meditation on the inevitability of time and change, and the value of what we've invested. He has such a deft hand, wielding precise words in all the right places and ways: 

"... there grew an acceptance of decline." 

I read him, I nod, I exhale, I scribble his words in my journal. 


September 2 

In the evening there were flocks of nighthawks
passing southward over the valley. The tall 
sunflowers stood, burning on their stalks
....

~~~~~~~~~~

Heidi Mordhorst has has the round-up this week at My Juicy Little Universe

12 comments:

Karen Eastlund said...

Thank you, Karen. I am getting to know W Berry after reading Old Jack this summer, as well as some of his poems. Beautiful!

Linda B said...

"My leaves all dissolved in flight." It's all wonderful but this end, wow! Ruth wrote about her excitement that the birds who leave us in the north would soon arrive in Haiti. We here in Denver were asked to keep our lights off last night because possibly 10,000 birds would be flying over, "leaves", right? Thank you, Karen. Wendell Berry's works are special.

laurasalas said...

This is stunning, Karen--thanks for sharing. And it merges perfectly with Irene Latham's poem this week and my comment on it!

Mary Lee said...

I just commented on Irene's post with a "What Laura said ^^^" and I'll do that again here!

I want to add a thanks for educating me about Wendell Berry's non-poetry writing. I added a BUNCH of his books to my TBR list because of you!

Karen Edmisten said...

Karen, I'm so glad you're getting to know Berry!

Linda, wow to the 10,000 birds flying over Denver in the dark. I love that image!

Laura and Mary Lee, I just headed over to Irene's and you're so right — love that kind of serendipity on Poetry Friday. :)

And Mary Lee, I'm so pleased Berry is helping fill up your TBR! Don't you love the book-sharing that happens through PF?

Elisabeth said...

A lovely meditation on the season of autumn - and life. Thanks for sharing this poem!

Ruth said...

Yes, abandonment is perfect. Thank you for sharing this - I don't recall reading it before.

Karen Edmisten said...

Thanks for stopping by, Elisabeth!

Karen Edmisten said...

Ruth, glad you liked it. I don't think I'd ever seen this one before either!

Bridget Magee said...

Thanks for posting this poem, Karen. Exactly what I needed to read today. :)

Karen Edmisten said...

I'm so glad, Bridget! :)

Heidi Mordhorst said...

Yes, yes...flocks, stalks, rags, leaves, tossed in abandonment, acceptance. Can we be like the lilies of the field, like the nighthawks to the summons our blood knows? Ahh, Wendell.