Friday, August 20, 2021

Poetry Friday: I Am From


Carol, at The Apples in My Orchard, is hosting Poetry Friday this week. She and her workshop students have been looking at various kinds of "I am" poems. So this week I decided to share the latest incarnation of an "I Am From" poem that I recently had to write for a conference. 

I've written a few versions of this, some shorter, some longer. But one thing that never changes? That laughter with my sister. (I didn't get her permission to share her picture, thus her lovely smile.) 😀


I Am From

by Karen Edmisten 


I am from knee socks, Hostess cupcakes, and patent leather Mary Janes worn home from the store, from hollyhock dolls, dandelion bouquets, and lightning bugs in the backyard at dusk. 

I am from Santa Claus, the Easter bunny, and a squishy pillow at the drive-in, a six-year-old’s comfort in the dark cocoon of the car.

I am from “I’m rubber, you’re glue,” and “Nuh-uh is not a word, Karen.” (“Nuh-uh,” I’d retort, “I can make it a word if I want to.”) 

I am from Alaskan glaciers, and the sunrise on the Florida coast, from everywhere and nowhere, the child of a pilot and his bride.

I am from Air Force brats bonding through a shared, strange life, from always being the new kid in class. 

I am from laughing with my sister so hard it makes my stomach hurt. 

I am from the shock of having life turned inside out and upside down, from learning that sometimes things have to be deconstructed before they can be rebuilt. 

I am from celebrating the rebuilding. I am from being remade again and again. 

I am from Tom, and from Emily, Lizzy, and Kate. I am from five other babies I never met (but whom I feel cheering me on daily.) 

I am from bewilderment at the idea that marriage and motherhood could make me happy.

I am from that happiness. 

I am from my discovery of home education. 

I am from Anne-with-an-e, Betsy-Tacy, and Ramona Quimby, from George Eliot, Madeleine L’Engle, and Rumer Godden, from endless authors and perennial poets, from read-alouds, and verse, and the joy of the book log. 

I am from the simplest of pleasures, from dark chocolate, steaming coffee, iced coffee, walking, friends, talking, theater, autumn and spring, and letters. Still letters. 

I am from words, paper, typewriters, desktops, laptops, manuscripts, and books. 

I am from nomads, from possibilities, and from imagination.

I am from a longing for roots, found finally, magically and forever, in everyone and everything I love. 



~~~~~~~~~~


14 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

Ah, that picture is itself an ode to joy. Lovely.
I feel like this is a worthy project for the Poetry Sisters at some point - my time is aggravatingly too short to have contributed to the Poetry-ing this week, but next time!!!

Tabatha said...

I enjoy every incarnation of this poem! Love that smile :)
"I am from being remade again and again." -- Amen

Carol J. Labuzzetta said...

Karen,
I'm so glad you shared your I am poem. We are from many of the same things and times, although not places. May I share this with my students next week. I'd like to read it to them. We did a form of the I am from poem - not nearly as detailed as yours (you can only do so much in an hour), so I'd like to share what really can be done. You've provided a great example! Thanks for participating in the round-up!

Jone said...

I love writing 'I Am' poems. I loved writing this with students.

Denise Krebs said...

This is one of my first and favorite poetry forms. I cried when I read George Ella Lyon's and I have even shed tears over my own. This is beautiful. I love how this form helps reveal who we are and what has shaped us. I love the way you described being from Alaskan to Florida, from everywhere and nowhere, you are "the child of a pilot and his bride." So lovely. And you and your laughing sister are precious too.

Susan T. said...

As the others have said, this is really lovely, Karen. I'll have to give the "I'm from" template a try.

Heidi Mordhorst said...

Nuh-uh is *definitely* a word. You are from a lot of "middle American" places, Karen, but also from lesser-known origins. It's good to see it all laid out, to remind us of that quintessential PreK concept "everyone different, everyone the same." Seems like that's a hard concept for a lot of people to hold in their minds at the moment--or is it their hearts that are failing?

Elisabeth said...

What a lovely picture! I hadn't seen this poem form before. I'm going to add it to my list of forms I want to try. I love how it goes beyond the traditional "biographical sketch" to the things that truly shape who we are.

Ruth said...

I love doing these with my students! Absolutely every one is fun to read! (And so is yours!)

Linda B said...

Every time I read one, and now yours, I love each part. Remember peeling the icing off those Hostess cupcakes? And I do love seeing “Nuh-uh", had forgotten that. Wonderful to read, Karen!

Alan j Wright said...

Karen, your poem delivers the reader a most expansive and colourful canvas. Rich historical details fill each line. Lock this one away. In the context of you and your family, this is precious.

Karen Edmisten said...

Thank you all for the lovely feedback!

Tanita, you have very good reasons for skipping the Poetry-ing this week. Your new book is coming out! Your new book is coming out! :D

Tabatha, amen to your amen.

Carol, yes, you may use it with your students! Thanks for providing the prompt for my last-minute post this week. :)

Jone, it's such a fun form to play with, isn't it?

Denise, thank you for crediting Georgia Ella Lyon, which I meant to do! :)

Susan, definitely try it. It's interesting to play with different depths of information and revelation.

Heidi, solidarity on "Nuh-uh"! :D Here's to hearts that can embrace the truth of "everyone different, everyone the same."

Elisabeth, enjoy crafting your own version!

Ruth, I can imagine how well you get to know students through this poetry form.

Linda, yes, I peeled the icing off and saved it for last. :)

Alan, thanks. Yes, lots of family history here.



Alice is in Wanderland said...

So wonderful to read your poem again, Karen. For me, this line resonates right now: "I am from the shock of having life turned inside out and upside down, from learning that sometimes things have to be deconstructed before they can be rebuilt" as I work on my own rebuilding.

Carol Varsalona said...

It took me a while to get here, Karen. Your poem is a very good one to end my very full day. I love how you brought in so many varied thoughts in this poem. Your family values are strong!