Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Wrapping up the Middle Ages ...

... even though I really don't want to leave. There's just so much great, fun stuff for this time period.

Our last few books:


Anne-with-an-e is reading Joan of Arc by Mark Twain. I haven't read this one myself, but have heard that it's excellent. It'll be in my summer reading pile.







Betsy is reading a biography of St. Elizabeth of Hungary, St. Elizabeth's Three Crowns. This is one of the Vision series. We have several of these and have enjoyed them all.






On a different note,
Ms. Frizzle's Adventures: Medieval Castle is typical Frizzle fun. The girls and I have always loved all things Magic School Bus, and this book is no exception.





Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village by Laura Amy Schlitz was a delightful find. I plucked it from the library shelf and immediately had that feeling that I'd found a treasure. Original poetry and prose are used to tell the stories of all kinds of folk, from "simpletons to saints." (Note: some imagery is too violent for younger or very sensitive children, and be prepared to explain several historical events related to faith.)



There are a few more, but I'm out of time for this morning!

3 comments:

christine M said...

Oh, I loved Mark Twain's Joan of Arc. And my daughter got Good Masters, Sweet Ladies for Christmas. What a treasure of a book that is! Enjoy the end of the Middle Ages!

Shaun said...

ooh! I just got Good Masters, Sweet Ladies for my DD's 9th birthday (tomorrow!) I was so excited to find it.

Faith said...

I just saw Good Masters, Sweet Ladies in the bookstore yesterday and wondered about it!

I've read the Mark Twain, wonderful, wonderful stuff! And St. Elizabeth of Hungary too.

What a nice book list! No wonder you don't want to leave!