Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I was going to do a light and breezy little post ...

... but then I got a prayer request in my Inbox for a young mom battling an incurable cancer.

And I thought of all the other prayer requests that I get on a regular basis.

You get them, too.

We all know people -- or we are the people -- who are battling diseases, heartache, loss, loneliness, isolation, disability, depression, stress and pressure.

And then, I remembered a post from awhile back. I wrote about getting "nothing" done that day. Except that I got everything done that day, because I was focused on my family and on what they really needed from me.

I'm thinking of that post today, because, for one thing, I need to hear my own reminder.

And, I'm also thinking of a quote from Soren Kierkegaard that I have hanging on my living room wall:

Purity of heart is to will one thing.

I look up at that quote often, and ask myself, "Am I willing the one thing today? Or are my priorities out of whack?"

Rich Mullins wrote a song about that One Thing.

Save me from those things that might distract me
Please take them away and purify my heart
I don't want to lose the eternal for the things that are passing


I'm not going to define "those things that might distract me." They really are, or can be, different for each of us. I know what mine are, and you know what yours are.

So.

I'm not facing an incurable disease today. Someone else is, and I'm praying for her.

But, tomorrow, it could be me. It could be someone in my family. It could be any of us.

I cling to the sure knowledge that when I do stay focused on the One Thing that matters, all other matters, even the uncertain future, fall into place. Not without pain, but they fall into place. My One Thing anchors me, keeps everything else in its right perspective.

That doesn't mean there won't be diseases, heartache, loss, loneliness, isolation, disability, depression, stress and pressure.

But it does mean that the One Thing I know and fiercely love will walk with me on whatever path He allows me to take. He's walking with that young mother today.

And today, I will pray that she feels His presence.

And that my family will feel mine.

2 comments:

Beck said...

Really wonderful post - I have been forcibly reminded several times in my life that some things are MUCH more important than others.

Joannof10 said...

Thank you for this wonderful reminder today!!