Saturday, September 23, 2023

Poetry Friday on a Saturday: Irene Latham's new book!


Look at this gorgeous cover! 


When I heard that Irene Latham had a new book coming out, I was over the moon. (I know, I know. I had to say it.) I've long admired Irene's endless talents. She is a wordsmith, poet, art aficionado, editor extraordinaire, and an incredible collaborator with the-also-endlessly-talented Charles Waters (whose work also needs to be checked out as soon as you have time to get lost in his website). 

What's the new book about? 

The premise of the book is intriguing: these poems are a catalog and overview of items we, humankind, have left behind on our neighbor in space. Some items are moving and meaningful (an American flag, a gold replica of an olive branch, the ashes of astrogeologist Eugene M. Shoemaker, a family photograph of astronaut Charles Duke) and some are merely "space junk" (check out the book for that fun array) but every object and poem inspires a thoughtful reaction. 

My first dip into The Museum on the Moon: The Curious Objects on the Lunar Surface left me charmed. The illustrations, by Myriam Wares, are consistently bewitching but also varied enough to match the mood of each poem perfectly. 

My second dip into The Museum on the Moon had me thinking about how stealthily educational the book is (in every marvelous sense of the word.) It left me wishing that I was still a homeschooling mom, teaching my daughters about the world (and the space around the world) through beautiful books. The Museum on the Moon would have inspired an entire unit study/deep dive for us. I miss those days, but that doesn't mean that this book doesn't have a place on my bookshelf. I will never stop collecting gorgeous picture books that send me over the moon. I'm delighted to add this one to my collection. 

Be sure to also check out Irene's MOON Discussion Guide and her Museum on the Moon Padlet

~~~~~~~~~~

The Poetry Friday round-up is being hosted this week by Carol Varsalona at Beyond LiteracyLink

11 comments:

jama said...

Thanks for featuring Irene's new book! What a great premise to write about the objects left on the moon. Can't wait to read it. :)

Linda B said...

I love the book, too, Karen, and Irene helping people to know "more" about the moon will inspire kids a lot! Happy Fall!

Carol Varsalona said...

Karen, it is good to hear your perspective on Irene's moon-marvelous book. It has such a wonderful flow of poems and non-fiction facts that children and adults will love.

Karen Edmisten said...

Jama, it's a keeper!

Karen Edmisten said...

I agree, Linda. And Happy Fall to you, too!

Karen Edmisten said...

Carol, yes, I think it's a book that everyone can enjoy!

Linda Kulp Trout said...

I haven't seen Irene's new book yet, but I plan to soon! Thank you for featuring it today!

elli said...

Karen, thank you for sharing this book! I've placed it on hold at the library. And yes, me too in terms of continuing to collect — and display! — beautiful picture books! Picture books are for all ages, and as I've learned to my sorrow, they don’t always stay in print for very long! Several treasures from my kids' younger years are already unavailable, and my 'baby' is only 21 ... so I feel it is always advisable to work them into the budget, where possible.

And, thank you my dear for shifting the comments back to their own page. I'll understand if you want to keep it the other way so you can have the direct reply feature! But I certainly do appreciate being able to leave comments for you🤗

Karen Edmisten said...

Linda, my pleasure! I know you'll love it.

Elli, yes to beautiful picture books! And no worries on the commenting format. I thought I had it figured out (and was thinking you had previously commented under the direct reply feature) but it was not to be! :) The most important thing is that you can comment! :D

Irene Latham said...

Hi Karen - thank you so much for this MOON shout-out! I got a full-moon smile when I read "stealthily educational." YES! The admiration is mutual, my friend. A thousand thank yous! xo

Karen Elise Finch said...

Irene's MUSEUM ON THE MOON sure sneaks in educational tidbits. I admire that you homeschooled your daughters. That's a gift that I'm sure they appreciate. I look forward to someday sharing Irene's book with grandchildren. :)