Thursday, June 29, 2023

Poetry Friday: "Summer Song" by William Carlos Williams


This week's Poetry Friday host, Irene Latham, has invited everyone to a "Moon in June" themed roundup. She's encouraging us to "share a favorite moon poem (yours or someone else's), a moon story, a moon memory, a moon dream...or whatever your moon-heart desires!" Irene's newest book, Museum on the Moon, will be released on August 8th. Take a look at this gorgeous cover: 



Can't wait to read this one! 


My moon-themed selection this week is from William Carlos Williams. I turn to Williams when I want shimmering imagery that pulls me perfectly into a scene. Who, after all, doesn't appreciate the vividness of a red wheelbarrow or the sorry-not-sorry nature of a plum-eating confession? Williams applies the same deft and inviting hand to the sharing of a summer morn. 

Enjoy! 


Summer Song
by William Carlos Williams 


Wanderer moon
smiling a
faintly ironical smile
at this
brilliant, dew-moistened
summer morning,—
a detached
sleepily indifferent
smile, a
wanderer's smile,—
if I should
buy a shirt
your color and
put on a necktie
sky-blue
where would they carry me?


(This poem is in the public domain.)

~~~~~~~~~~



23 comments:

Buffy Silverman said...

Wandering poet with wandering moon! Thanks for sharing this one.

Irene Latham said...

A wanderer's smile! I hadn't read this one before. Thank you, Karen! xo

Susan T. said...

I didn't know this one, either, Karen. Thank you. It's perfect for this time of year.

Diane Anderson (newtreemom) said...

William Carlos Williams was a mentor for some favorite poetry writing with students. I didn’t know his moon poem… but it certainly could inspire some imaginary wanderings.

laurasalas said...

Interesting poem! I love seeing the moon in the morning against a blue sky and pondering how it seems an entirely different entity than it is at night...

Linda B said...

He knows how to write it, doesn't he? Thanks so much for this lovely one by Williams, Karen. It is new to me & one to keep!

Mary Lee said...

Now I will forever see an "ironic smile" on Mr. Moon!

Karen Edmisten said...

My pleasure, Buffy!

Karen Edmisten said...

Lovely, isn't it?

Karen Edmisten said...

It was actually new to me as well, Susan!

Karen Edmisten said...

Yes, could be fun to use as a mentor text.

Karen Edmisten said...

I've thought of that, too, Laura!

Karen Edmisten said...

Glad it's a keeper for you, Linda!

Karen Elise Finch said...

Wanderer moon - I love the idea the moon wandering into morning with that sleepily indifferent smile. Great example you found. Thank you!

Karen Edmisten said...

My pleasure, Karen! I like that sleepily indifferent smile too. :)

Rose Cappelli said...

Thanks for sharing this poem, Karen. It was a new one for me, too!

Patricia Franz said...

Karen, this was such a great choice to share William's words - that wanderer moon ... sure gets around, right?

Carol Varsalona said...

A wanderer moon - yes! I need to find that moon with a ironical smile. I will look for it tonight, Karen. I would like to invite you to Spiritual Journey Thursday this week. I am hosting and the theme title is Rejoice in a Sunkissed Summer Season.

Karen Edmisten said...

Delighted to share it, Rose! Thanks for stopping by.

Karen Edmisten said...

It wanders in and out of our nights. :)

Karen Edmisten said...

Thank you for the invitation, Carol!

Karen Edmisten said...

Right? Me too, Mary Lee.

Michelle Kogan said...

Ah lovely, thanks Karen