Thursday, May 04, 2023

Poetry Friday: Morning, by Mary Oliver


Happy Poetry Friday! I missed last week again due to some family medical stuff but I'm here now, it's Friday, and there's poetry out there that's demanding to be read. Let's read it. 

Here are two short poems by Mary Oliver about morning: 


Morning
by Mary Oliver 


Salt shining behind its glass cylinder.
Milk in a blue bowl. The yellow linoleum.
The cat stretching her black body from the pillow.
The way she makes her curvaceous response to the small, kind gesture.

....

(Read the rest here.) 


A Thousand Mornings
by Mary Oliver 

All night my heart makes its way
however it can over the rough ground
of uncertainties, but only until night
....

(Read the rest here.)


And if you love Mary Oliver, check out the new audiobook Wild and Precious: A Celebration of Mary Oliver, from Pushkin. I just downloaded it and can't wait to listen. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Poetry Friday round-up this week is being hosted by the fantabulous Linda B. at TeacherDance

Photo courtesy of Eszter Miller at Pixabay. 


Also? May the exquisite poet, Gordon Lightfoot, rest in peace. I loved him so. 

12 comments:

jama said...

Thanks for the Mary Oliver fix this week!! I especially love the first poem (new to me). What fabulous images!!

Also sad to hear of Lightfoot's passing. Been listening to his music the last few days. Amazing that he kept making music and touring till the very end.

Linda B said...

Just back from the needed errands and here you are bringing wonders from May Oliver, Karen. I love that idea of her gratitude at the end of poem one, "everything wonderful around me", a loving way to start a day! And to read the review and a glimpse of some poems from A Thousand Mornings, some gratitude and some humor all mixed together - delightful! I'm glad you came back today!

Denise Krebs said...

Karen, wonderful poems from Mary Oliver. Thank you for sharing. I love the idea of "I too wait (and when have I ever been
disappointed?) for redbird to sing." Yes, indeed. I hope all is well at home.

laurasalas said...

When have I ever been disappointed? Oh. Thank you for this dose of Oliver this morning, Karen :>)

Rose Cappelli said...

Mary Oliver is so inspirational! I have the audio book but haven't listened yet - thanks for reminding me about it!

Marcie Flinchum Atkins said...

I listened to Wild and Precious on my way to Highlights several weeks ago. I really enjoyed it. I'm also on a Mary Oliver kick right now.

Linda Mitchell said...

Waking up to Mary Oliver (5:45 am now) is the absolute best. Thank you

Karen Edmisten said...

So happy to share Mary with you all! :)

Mary Lee said...

I've just finished a collection of Mary Oliver's poems that go from 2016 back to the 1960's. Such a joy to read back through her life and watch her style...regress? more like go back to it's origin story.

Patricia Franz said...

"...and what to do with wild words..." I'm reading this on Monday morning. Thank you for Mary Oliver at my 7:30am poetry-swim. And yes, RIP G. Lightfoot ! It was a moment to remember the first time I actually drove the Carefree Highway (Carefree, AZ) and sang with him on the radio!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for these beautiful mornings! Ruth, thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com

Karen Edmisten said...

Mary Lee, I like the origin story angle. :) Patricia, you drove the Carefree highway! ❤️ And Ruth, my pleasure! :)