Thursday, February 09, 2023

Poetry Friday: "To Winter" by Claude McKay



I am a big Claude McKay fan. However, I must admit I don't normally share the sentiment in this particular poem. I never really want the "season of calm love and soulful snows" to stay. Well, I'm all for a soulful snow, but our snows rarely feel like soulful snows. They mostly feel like big interruptions to plans and postponements of road trips. My (not very) poetic sentiment is usually: 

Go away, Winter.  
Go. 
Away. 
I don't 
like you. 
Leave us. 
Now. 


And yet, and yet. McKay crafts such a tender plea, and offers such a poignant contrast to his homeland of Jamaica that he actually makes me long for winter, to feel grateful for the gifts it brings. 

Oh, Claude, you "ease my heart of its impassioned woe" of winter complaint and make me appreciate the unique loveliness of the season. 

Such is the gift of the poet. 


To Winter

by Claude McKay

Stay, season of calm love and soulful snows!
There is a subtle sweetness in the sun,
The ripples on the stream's breast gaily run,
The wind more boisterously by me blows,
And each succeeding day now longer grows.
The birds a gladder music have begun,
The squirrel, full of mischief and of fun,
From maples' topmost branch the brown twig throws.
I read these pregnant signs, know what they mean:
I know that thou art making ready to go.
Oh stay! I fled a land where fields are green
Always, and palms wave gently to and fro,
And winds are balmy, blue brooks ever sheen,
To ease my heart of its impassioned woe. 

~~~~~~~~~~




Photo credit: Hal Moran, Pexels

16 comments:

Linda B said...

It is beautiful, Karen, especially since you shared that McKay is originally from Jamaica. There are those moments that I feel akin to your sentiment, too, wishing that "soulful snow" would quietly "go away". We have lovely warm days ahead, then snow again right after Valentine's Day! This is our February! Thanks & Happy Valentine's Day to you!

Carol Varsalona said...

Karen, winter storms make people want the snow to go away but it is so beautiful to look at in its calm state. McKay's poem is a lovely interpretation of winter bliss.
Thanks for the poem.

Janice Scully said...

Each season seems to help one appreciate the others. Thanks for the McKay poem and I definitely understand why you'd want winter to "leave us."

Carol J. Labuzzetta said...

Karen, I like both poems you offered today. I do like winter and snow, although have tired of it by now. I feel like this winter has been especially beautiful - many soulful snows - have graced our landscape this winter. It is interesting that the second poem was written by a native Jamaican. Perhaps he saw or felt something in the snow because it was unique to him. Thanks.

Karen Edmisten said...

Linda, enjoy a bit more soulful snow. :)

Carol V., yes, I agree that there is genuine beauty in a calm snow. Poets like McKay remind me to appreciate it.

Janice, yes, our winter has been a little harsh this year and I've grown tired of the sub-zero temps we had. We are getting a beautiful break this week, though!

Carol L., I'm glad you've had the opportunity to enjoy many soulful snows this year!

Karen Eastlund said...

Karen, thanks for this intro to McKay... new to me. I generally enjoy winter, even after living in Minnesota. Partly it's the challenge, the stubborn feeling that I can do this. This winter in NJ has been just right for walking, almost too mild in some respects. I'll take it!

author amok said...

Oh, gosh. I've read this poem before but I've never quite heard or paid attention to the homesickness McKay is expressing in the final lines.

Mary Lee said...

What Janice said. McKay seems to be leaning into a love of spring for a bit there, until he swerves and makes it all about winter's departure.

Karen Edmisten said...

Karen, I'll take an almost-too-mild winter, lol! :)

Laura, the final lines are arresting, aren't they? I wasn't sure if it was homesickness or if he was saying that because he fled a land that was always green and warm, he now wants his share of winter and soulful snows. And yet he wrote in other poems about longing again for Jamaica, so I think it's a bit of both. Conflicted: give me home, but give me snow? :)

Mary Lee, I had the same thought about the swerve.

Patricia Franz said...

Oh, I do get those soulful snows in Tahoe. I regularly feel that same desire to linger, and the tension of missing the desert. Thank you for sharing this, Karen. I may keep this to try an imitation.

Kay said...

That is a beautiful ode to winter. I love winter and enjoy getting out in it, but I also look forward to spring.

Karen Edmisten said...

Patricia, I can't wait to see what you try!

Kay, I can't say I enjoy getting out in winter weather, but I concur on the spring anticipation. :)

jama said...

It "is" a lovely poem, though I share your sentiment about wanting winter to end. I guess soulful snows make many wax poetic, and it's nice if you can watch snow fall gently from inside and stay cozy. Now I want to read more of McKay's work. Thanks for sharing!

Rose Cappelli said...

I would like to experience at least one soulful snow this season, but the temperatures here have been too springlike. I'm not complaining (well, maybe a little), but I do miss a good, soulful, beautiful snow on a winter afternoon.Thanks for sharing the poem, Karen.

Susan T. said...

Ah, beautiful. I like Claude McKay, too. I really hope we get at least one "soulful snow" day here this season.

Karen Edmisten said...

Jama, you'll like McKay!

Rose, I'll swap weather with you this week? ;)

Susan, if it's what you want, I wish you a soulful snow. :D