Friday, May 17, 2019

Poetry Friday: A New One from Ramona



The other day, Ramona and I were talking about the variety of perspectives on dandelions. She falls firmly into Camp-I-Love-Them. The next day, she needed to produce a piece of writing for our writing group, and she wrote this poem. I absolutely love it. 


The Dandelion Lady
by Ramona (age 16)

The Dandelion Lady sees beauty and light,
where others see nuisance and blight.

She loves the bright, yellow heads,
where others fear for their flower beds.

She picks a bouquet, and at the end of her day,
says, "Thank you, dandelions!" and throws them away.

Friends ask, "How is your crop?"
She replies, "It fills my heart to the top."

Neighbors ask, "How are your seeds?"
She chuckles and responds, "Why, they're growing like weeds!"

~~~~~

Where do you stand on dandelions? 

For more about the magic of nature and all things poetic, visit Margaret Simon at Reflections on the Teche, for this week's round-up. 


11 comments:

jama said...

Hooray for Ramona. Love her dandelions poem! She is like Emily D in her love for them. :)

tanita✿davis said...

Awww. I'm inclined to take the dandelion lady's pov, but that's because I'm not fond of mowing and all the water lawns take. Additionally, I love, love, love dandelion clocks, so this poem wins!

(Thanks for letting your Mom share, R!)

Tabatha said...

I'm charmed! Thanks for sharing, Ramona and Karen!
(I, too, love dandelions. So cheerful and fresh, and all those wishes besides!)

Ramona said...

I stand with the other Ramona, definitely in the "I love them" camp.

Margaret Simon said...

Dandelions are for the child at heart, free and fluffy!

Linda B said...

Love that ending of Ramona's loving poem, Karen. A friend, and beekeeper, says they are the first food for bees, to let them flourish! Our parks do allow it & they seem to be the first color seen, a welcome for the bees!

Kimberly Hutmacher said...

I love them.....unless they're taking over my yard :) Ramona's poem is lovely.

Jone said...

I’m with Ramona. Especially when they become wishmakers.

Carol Varsalona said...

What a positive opening stanza your friend Ramona presented, Tabatha. I also like the end because of the humor introduced. The dancing was special. I am wondering what kind of dancing teenagers do at a prom these days. My cousin went to a junior prom a couple of weeks ago and her senior prom this past weekend. I noticed that all the girls were wearing short dresses to the senior prom and long to the junior one. I hope you daughter had a great time.

jan godown annino said...

Ramona is a super staunch presenter of the upside of dandy-lions. I love this perspective. And I also am wowed that you are sharing her poem. Lucky for you both to be in a writing group together. You both have motivated me to go hunt some of the brilliant yellow brights in our neighborhood.

Karen Edmisten said...

I'm with Ramona and the dandelion lady. I think we were on our way home from the orthodontist when we saw a sea of yellow and it got us talking. :)

Jama, love your Emily D. comparison.
Tanita, I had never heard of dandelion clocks!
Jan, I've been hosting a weekly writing group for my daughters for about 8 or 9 years. Ramona is my last one, and next year (she'll be a senior, eek!) will be our last year. Oh, my!

Thanks to everyone for stopping by. Passing your lovely comments on to my daughter!