Thursday, February 14, 2019

Poetry Friday: I Can't Get Enough of James Weldon Johnson


Before a Painting
James Weldon Johnson

I knew not who had wrought with skill so fine
    What I beheld; nor by what laws of art
    He had created life and love and heart
On canvas, from mere color, curve and line.
Silent I stood and made no move or sign;
    Not with the crowd, but reverently apart;
    Nor felt the power my rooted limbs to start,
But mutely gazed upon that face divine.

And over me the sense of beauty fell,
    As music over a raptured listener to
        The deep-voiced organ breathing out a hymn;
Or as on one who kneels, his beads to tell,
    There falls the aureate glory filtered through
        The windows in some old cathedral dim.

(This poem is in the public domain.)

~~~~~

The roundup this week is at Check It Out

9 comments:

jama said...

Just beautiful!!

Linda B said...

I love the comparisons, Karen. Thanks for a beautiful poem.

Michelle Kogan said...

Lovely, as life is, thanks Karen.

Jone said...

Can’t you just see yourself standing before a painting. How beautiful.

Carol Varsalona said...

I was just thinking how nice it would be to take a ride into one of the NYC museums to soak up the art. Thanks for sharing this poem.

Christie Wyman said...

Stunning! I'm adding "aureate" to my notebook. What a gorgeous word that is and it's perfect in Johnson's poem. Your post lead me down a rabbit hole. I googled Johnson and discovered he was killed when his car was hit by a train in Wiscasset, ME, a place I've spent a great deal of time in. Many thanks for sharing this poem, Karen.

Whispers from the Ridge said...

I could picture myself marveling at the masterpiece! Thanks for sharing this thoughtful piece!

jan godown annino said...

Karen, so glorious to read this from James Weldon Johnson. Like Christie, I have an immediate connection as I am researching this giant of a figure who was exemplary in so many fields & just this past week, I read how he & his brother were close & worked together on creative projects, often. I think Bryan Collier illustrated a picture book about JWJ. Am on the lookout for more resources connections, if you come across any interviews or blog . . . I also would be fascinated to know which work of art inspired this poem. I send so many appreciations for your sharing & for your blog. Brava!

Molly Hogan said...

What a lovely tribute to the glory and power of art.