Friday, November 19, 2010

More from Wendell Berry ...


... and this one is perfectly lovely.


To My Mother

by Wendell Berry

I was your rebellious son,
do you remember? Sometimes
I wonder if you do remember,
so complete has your forgiveness been.

So complete has your forgiveness been
I wonder sometimes if it did not
precede my wrong, and I erred,
safe found, within your love,

prepared ahead of me, the way home,
or my bed at night, so that almost

(Read the rest here, at The Poetry Foundation.)

~~~~~~~~~~

The Poetry Friday roundup is at Random Noodling today.

6 comments:

Gardenia said...

Hi Karen, just stopping by to let you know that I pulled out my December liturgical basket last night and in it found your Panic-Free Advent which I had printed off last Advent. I read it last night and all the panic disappeared !! Thank you for all your wonderful compilation of ideas. We will benefit so much from them. Happy Blessed Advent!!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I have only one desire; to so completely mirror this love that I would be remembered this kind of mother. Thank you for posting this!

Karen Edmisten said...

Isn't it just beautiful, Andi? I want to be that mother, too.

Gardenia, I'm so glad the posts are helpful! Hurray! A blessed Advent to you, too.

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Oh lovely indeed! An icon of motherhood to strive for.

Joseph Drake said...

I like Berry, not only as a post, but as a essayist who has a commonsense but still pure environmentalism. I should do an essay on him on my arts blog sometime soon.

Karen Edmisten said...

I'll look forward to that post!