Monday, April 12, 2010

Bits and Pieces of Our Days

Remember Seinfeld's Golden Boy t-shirt?

Yesterday, Atticus wore his Golden Boy sweatshirt to a potluck dinner at church. I frowned. It's seriously time to retire that Golden Boy. The grease stain on the sleeve might be an actual fire hazard. And the fraying collar could trigger a Consumer Product Safety Commission recall due to the threat of strangulation.

This morning I also had to wrestle a t-shirt from Anne. I told her that her Golden Boy was not merely dying ... Golden Boy was gross.

I'm no fashion plate, but I know when a garment has joined the choir invisible.

*****

I held a newborn baby for awhile yesterday, at a reception after a baptism. His head smelled of chrism, and he nestled sweetly on my shoulder. And I was both extremely happy to hold him and happy to return him.  Contentment with one's stage of life is highly underrated.

*****

The other day I tweeted:

Off to library -- what to read? No. More like: "What to check out then return in 6 weeks after renewing twice because I had no time to read."

But, Reading Hope springs eternal. I ended up with Richard Wilbur's Things of This World, About Alice by Calvin Trillan, Nurture Shock: New Thinking About Children by Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman (and here's Alicia Van Hecke's review),  Ellen Sandbeck's Organic Housekeeping, The Bread Loaf Anthology of Contemporary American Essays, and Blank: The Power of Not Actually Thinking at All (which is just a very lightweight little parody of Malcolm Gladwell's Blink.)  

My wandering time at the library was courtesy of my kiddoes' involvement with the young adult book club. They had a great time discussing all kinds of books, and came out of the meeting laughing.

"How geeky are we?" asked Anne. "We have inside jokes with our librarian."

*****

Yesterday was Divine Mercy Sunday. I love the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy. Years ago, before I was a Catholic, I was struggling with an enormous problem. I'd stopped attending the Episcopal church and was completely adrift. My friend, Jack,  gave me a copy of the chaplet and said, "Here. Pray this every day for the next month." I shrugged and thought, "It couldn't hurt."  I prayed it daily and at the end of that month, something I had greatly feared had been resolved. Ummm ... okay.  I knew the prayer wasn't a “Catholic magic charm" but it did seem to be a road sign. A big, neon one.  I signed up for RCIA within a month.

No comments: