Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Quote for a Wednesday

I know I said I have no time for reading, but honestly, that's like saying I don't have time to breathe or drink coffee.

So.

I'm reading Mark Shea's Mary, Mother of the Son, and oh, how I love that man's writing.

Such as:

Thinking about Mary's referred life also started me thinking about how many other people in my life Jesus came through to get to me. He came to me, for instance, through my Evangelical friend, Sandy, who brought me Pepto-Bismol when I was desperately sick with flu in college, thereby making this unbeliever first notice the love of Jesus working through one of his saints.

He goes on to list the many people who had an effect on his conversion, and adds:

In fact, the more I looked at it, the more it seemed to me that God virtually always comes to us through some creature. And when he does that, some glow of his glory is left on the creature, like the radiance on Moses' face (cf. Ex. 34:29-35). But at the same time it remains clear the glory is God's, not something the creature could claim for himself.

Beautiful. I just bought this trilogy last month, and I hope to get a real review/reaction written up when I finish it, but for now I'll just say that I've always thought that reading Shea is a lot like reading C.S. Lewis for me -- he's accessible and funny, and honest and a true lover of God whose conversion was hard won.

Excuse me now while I go breathe and drink coffee.

1 comment:

Eileen said...

This reminds me of a friend who likes to say that people are "God with skin on." :)