Saturday, September 05, 2009

One way to teach the faith ...

ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more

... is to talk about it.

I've said it before: "Talking is most of our curriculum here."

Yesterday, a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped by. They are a married couple, really lovely people, and they've been stopping by regularly ever since I first answered the door and actually conversed with them. I respect the dedication and evangelism of Jehovah's Witnesses, although of course I disagree with their conclusions.

As we were wrapping up yesterday's conversation, I offered them, in exchange for the booklet they were leaving me, a booklet of my own. Well, not mine, actually, but one from Catholic Answers called Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth. The tone of the conversation changed dramatically. I didn't think they were going to even take the booklet, but after further conversation, the gentleman, a savvy evangelist and a kind man, did accept it.

Last night, as I recounted the conversation to Atticus, I noticed how intently the kids were listening. What did we talk about? Sacred Tradition vs. human tradition, the origins of Sacred Scripture and the Catholic Church as guardian of Scripture, the Holy Spirit guiding and guarding the Church in unchanging doctrine, and the dangers of quoting Scripture verses out of context.

Whew -- I guess I can check off three or four weeks worth of Religious Ed topics.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Send the girls to the door next time and call it a "pop quiz"!

Christine said...

We always offer a copy of Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth to people who knowck on our door, too. I need to start paying attention to what my children are hearing. :)

Sarah said...

What a great idea to keep a copy of that booklet close by if folks ever come to the door!