Friday, March 02, 2007

Lenten meme

What is your favorite Sorrowful Mystery?

"Favorite" isn't exactly the word I'd use in connection with the Sorrowful Mysteries ... when I think of "my favorite things" I'm usually thinking of the things that bring me laughter, joy, calories and wakefulness (coffee, my husband, my daughters, chocolate, a glass of Merlot, friends and family ... I'll leave it to you to sort out which brings me which.)

The Sorrowful Mysteries bring a different and solemn kind of joy and wakefulness in the contemplation of them. Contemplating the Carrying of the Cross keeps me alert to what our Lord did for me, and to what He asks me to do every day. Each of the mysteries does this, of course, but for me, the Carrying of the Cross is the one I go back to most often, identify with most completely, and love most deeply.


What is your favorite Station of the Cross?

Of course they are all profoundly affecting, but one that speaks powerfully to me is the Fourth Station, Jesus meets His mother. A variation on this that I love is a set of stations used by Pope John Paul II. In these stations, the twelfth is "Jesus speaks to His mother and the disciple."


Do you fast during Lent?

Yes, in various ways and from various foods and/or things.

What is your Lenten Resolution(s)?

I'm going to keep my personal resolutions private for now. That way, I think I'm less likely to complain about them. My family knows (at least they know the ones that show outwardly), but I'm trying not to talk about it much.

That's not to say that I think it's wrong to share with friends what one is giving up -- I think it can be a great thing, and a source of support for us to encourage one another, give each other ideas, and the like.

As far as our family, my children have given up complaining. The only problem with this is that since Sundays aren't part of Lent, and we never fast on a "little Easter" my girls jokingly said, "We can complain all we want on Sunday!" This was followed by much giggling -- which leads me to a post I keep meaning to write: "Do we give up 'something good' or 'something bad' for Lent?" I'll get to it soon ....

We're also following Operation Rice Bowl, and I like the email updates, the calendar for home use, and the discussions it has sparked about hunger and working conditions around the world.

Do you use Holy Water during Lent?

We have it around all the time, and love having holy water fonts in several locations in the house.

How many times do you go to Mass during Lent?

I'm taking the girls to a daily Mass one extra time a week.

Thank you, Matilda, for the tag! And I tag anyone who'd like to respond ... and if you do, will you let me know?

1 comment:

Leticia said...

Karen, I'd like to respond!