Saturday, June 17, 2006

Sharing a cup of tea

Danielle Bean doesn't need me to tell you about her book, My Cup of Tea: Musings of a Catholic Mom, but I'll tell you anyway (because, as you know, I started this blog just to have a website but soon found that it's quite fun to spout my opinion to anyone and everyone and after all, what's a blog for except to blather on as if anyone and everyone cared about my opinion? And so, not one to disappoint, here's yet another opinion of yet another book.)

I got Danielle's book for Mother's Day. We do that sort of ultra-romantic gift-giving around here: "Atticus, here's the book I want for Mother's Day." It's a compilation of essays, the kind that you can pick up and peruse as you have time (the best kind of reading for a mother.) I loved every one. Danielle's book, like her blog, is sweet, and very funny and full of wisdom. Is she really that young? How come I didn't have faith and motherhood all figured out by the time I was 34? (Well, it could have something to do with the fact that I didn't become a Catholic until I was 35, but I digress ....)

Danielle may humbly say that she doesn't have it all figured out, but what she does have down pat is this: it all comes back to Jesus Christ. And that (and her faith in Him) shines through in her essays.

Our faith can and will get us through anything, including the rollercoaster of emotions that is marriage and motherhood -- perhaps especially that particular rollercoaster, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me without faith.

So, when a romantic gift is looming in your near-future, draw your beloved close and whisper softly in his ear, "Honey, I know just what I want ... and I'm headed to the computer to order it."

You'll thank him for being so romantic, he'll thank you for making gift-giving so easy, and you'll both thank Danielle for making you smile and nod, and laugh and cry (because naturally you'll read passages out loud to him.)

And, speaking of the full range of emotions, visit Danielle today to find out why you don't need an ept to know that you're pregnant.

No comments: