Sunday, January 29, 2006

The Constant Gardener

I've been haunted by this movie since we watched it. I knew very little about it before Atticus brought it home last night, only vaguely recalling kudos from a reviewer I like, and then reading a brief recommendation in a magazine. The blurbs ("suspense ... web of intrigue ... thriller ...") led me to think this might be one of those absorbing (but in a fun way) movies during which you munch popcorn and try to figure out, along with your hero, which bad guy did what.

This is not a fun movie. But it is many, many other things. Since I'm not a particularly eloquent movie reviewer, I'm not sure I can do them all justice, but I'll mention a few that occur to me.

It is, first of all, visually stunning. It's a relief to see something so original in its vision and to know that Hollywood can still produce art, rather than mere formula.

It is intelligent in plot, subject matter and presentation and it assumes intelligence in its audience. It subtly presumes we are listening, catching hints, nuances and double meanings.

It is a love story. It's about grief and what it does to us. It's about passion, commitment, betrayal and the cost of courage. It is about horror in our world, but it does not descend into the lurid. We are horrified, though, because we know what is being presented to us even when we are not shown every picture and detail. Because of this, the movie remains art and avoids sensationalism (however, I should note that there is nudity in the context of the relationship that was unnecessary.) I couldn't help but think that so many directors of the 21st century would have depicted much of this film's horror in a way that was meant to titillate rather than justly horrify.

When the movie ended, and my tears subsided, I said to Atticus, "What a powerful movie ... I don't think I've said that about a movie for awhile." The performances are a thing of beauty.

Much of the power and beauty lay in the movie's message, which is ultimately life-affirming, as Atticus noted (though you will weep.) Every single life is important, precious, worthwhile. It does make a difference to help one person at a time, one soul that has been placed in your path. And there is real and beautiful marital love, and there are things worth dying for.

(note: the movie is rated R, there is violence, and some brief nudity.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought this was a very "eloquent movie review", karen. : )

Thanks for sharing. I've never heard of the movie before.