Friday, February 17, 2012

It's "Love George Bilgere Day" at the Blog With the Shockingly Clever Title


Yeah, I know.  I've had this day before. A Bilgerian day is one in which I want to linger endlessly at a coffee shop, make wise, witty and insightful observations about the people around me, inventory my dreams, ponder which of them have been realized, scrutinize my shortcomings, and imagine that I can still wear that one pair of jeans.

So, yeah, I love George Bilgere. But who doesn't? Who wouldn't love a poet who writes frequently about coffee and books, and about the shops in which coffee is consumed while bad novels are written, who knows what it is to want to murder someone who's on a cell phone, and who grasps the inner life and hidden meanings wrapped in unwise purchases?

He deserves a day, don't you think?

The Ineffable
by George Bilgere

I'm sitting here reading the paper,
feeling warm and satisfied, basically content
with my life and all I have achieved.
Then I go up for a refill and suddenly realize
...

(Read the rest of it here, at The Writer's Almanac.)

~~~~~~~~~~

Myra is hosting the round up this weekend at Gathering Books.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Thanks for the intro to Bilgere! He reminds me a little of Billy Collins. He definitely deserves a day.

I'm Jet . . . said...

So, I am just today reading your Love George Bilgere day. Now I think I must be George Bilgere in drag -- me of the neutral face when confronted by the sheer ignorance of others or their appalling lack of common courtesy.

I think we should all hang out some time!

I especially like Unwise Purchases, because as I get ready for a move from NH to Europe in about a year, I curse my total lack of foresight. In my younger days, it seemed like such a great idea to surround myself with stuff. Now, not so much.

Good post, Karen!

Jet