Friday, August 21, 2009

Poetry Friday: Once Again I Fail to Read an Important Novel



I love this poem.
I don't even have to tell you why, do I?
It speaks for itself.




Once Again I Fail to Read an Important Novel

by George Bilgere

Instead, we sit together beside the fountain,
the important novel and I.

We are having coffee together
in that quiet first hour of the morning,
respecting each other's silences
in the shadow of an important old building
in this small but significant European city.

All the characters can relax.
I'm giving them the day off.
....

(Read the entire poem here.)

And now, I'm off to spend my entire day avoiding important novels.

Kyle at The Boy Reader is hosting Poetry Friday.

5 comments:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Beautiful. It rather reminds me of Billy Collins.

jama said...

LOVE this! I have hundreds of said complicated, important novels sitting beside me at this very moment. :)

Margaret in Minnesota said...

"All the characters can relax. I'm giving them the day off."

What a great line.

May you & your characters have a beautiful weekend, Karen. [hugs]

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I love this poem! It right away made me think of me and my Bible in the early morning. I mean to read it every day, but sometimes I just sit with it and my coffee and the Lord, giving the verses the day off.

laurasalas said...

Wonderful! And Melanie B, I thought the exact same thing. The voice totally reminds me of Billy Collins.

Thanks for sharing, Karen!