Friday, January 15, 2010

Poetry Friday: Briefly It Enters, Briefly It Speaks




Briefly and beautifully, this poem speaks for itself.

Briefly It Enters, Briefly Speaks

by Jane Kenyon

I am the blossom pressed in a book,
found again after two hundred years. . . .

I am the maker, the lover, and the keeper....

When the young girl who starves
sits down to a table
she will sit beside me. . . .

I am food on the prisoner's plate. . . .

I am water rushing to the wellhead,
filling the pitcher until it spills. . . .

(Read the rest here, at the Poetry Foundation.) 

The Poetry Friday round up will be hosted today at Great Kid Books.

4 comments:

Lissa said...

A perfect choice for this week, Karen. Thank you.

Doraine said...

Lovely poem. Thanks for sharing.

Susan Taylor Brown said...

Oh I like this a lot. Thank you for sharing.

Mary Lee said...

That longest hair, white before the rest, makes me smile.