Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Recent Reading: For the Love of Literature

Maureen Wittmann's For the Love of Literature: Teaching Core Subjects with Literature was part of my needed refueling this Christmas break.

Karen Andreola, coined the term "Mother Culture" to refer to activities and interests that will revive a tired, busy mom. And, while one might argue that reading about homeschooling isn't exactly what a homeschooling mother on break should do, it is exactly one of the things I needed.

It did revive me. I felt encouraged by the tone and the reassurance of things I already knew -- that extraordinary amounts of learning happen through literature -- and I know it's a resource I will go back to time and again.

It offers over 950 titles -- living books arranged by subject and age appropriateness.

That much literature should get us through at least the next few months. And, thank you Maureen, for adding to my fuel to my homeschooling fire.

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Thank you Karen!

You know I had another veteran homeschooler tell me recently that LOL helped her get out of a funk. I never expected that. Cool!

Mrs. Darling said...

I eat read and breathe homeschooling. Now I will have to read this book!