Friday, February 07, 2020

Poetry Friday: Groundhog Day


Groundhog Day, which was February 2nd, has been on my mind. 

Punxsutawney Phil didn't see his shadow (not that I really trust a rodent to predict or plan my seasons for me, but an early spring is ever the stuff of dreams in the midwest, so thanks, little rodent.)

Bill Murray reprised his role as Phil Connor in a Super Bowl commercial (I never watch the Super Bowl, but I catch up on the commercials the next day), prompting a yen to rewatch one of my favorite movies.

And the movie always makes me think of this Shrinklit I wrote years ago. The last time I shared this poem on the blog, an awesome friend told me that only I could find a place for God in this movie. I love that she sees me as an original thinker, but the truth is, I simply stumbled onto ideas that others had been writing about since the movie's release in 1993. Harold Ramis's Groundhog Day ignited lots of pondering in lots of people, some serious, some fanciful. Here are a few examples:

How to Understand the Philosophy of Groundhog Day and Live by Its Message, NPR
8 Fascinating Interpretations of Groundhog Day, Mental Floss
Roger Ebert's insightful 2005/2nd look at Groundhog Day

So without further ado, here's my input, here's to trying to become a better person, and here's to an early springtime!

My Groundhog Day Shrinklit
by Karen Edmisten

Phil: at first, a selfish jerk
Focused on his fun and work.
Women were a toy or game
Till every day became the same.

Quite suddenly, no rules apply
Steal some money, tell a lie.
Nihilism's worth a spin,
Then despair comes crashing in

Suicide just didn't take.
Surely something is at stake?
Could it be he'll find it's worth
Striving for a true rebirth?

Self-improvement: worth a try,
Though all past ways it does defy?
Selflessness for its own sake?
Turn away from all that's fake?

Helping, saving, giving, tears.
Authentic feelings, first in years.
Abandoning the ways of old
Lets in truth, releases cold.

Something genuine and kind
Allows this man his best to find.
Is this conversion? God at work?
Or one colossal cosmic quirk?

~~~~~~~~

For more about Poetry Friday, go here.  

11 comments:

Paula said...

I love this Karen!!!! Can it be shared with you ad author or to you want to keep it u shared. I understand both ways!!! Hug!!!

Linda B said...

I love that you titled it a 'shrinklit', Karen, apt! I always thought the movie was certainly a lesson, and your question will be answered in various ways, I think. It was a fun surprise on the Super Bowl.

Kay said...

Perfect! I like Phil's forecast better than any local groundhogs--we had a bright sunny day. it was glorious but fleeting.

laurasalas said...

This is awesome, Karen! I have seen Groundhog Day spoofed or referenced SO many times that I literally cannot remember whether I've ever seen the whole movie. But I think I'll just take your lovely extraction of its essence:>)

Karen Edmisten said...

Laura, It's worth watching through, but I'm glad to provide the essence for you! :D
Kay, I'll take those sunny days as well. Hope you have lots more to come!
Linda, yes, I thought it was an unexpected and fun surprise, too, and Paula, yes, you may share, with credit, thanks.

elli said...

Karen, what a delightful poem ... I loved that movie, back in the day ... have not seen it in years and in fact my 17 and 20 year olds never have (tho' it was a staple during the growing up of my earlier family). We've *just* been talking about getting it from the library for family movie night ...

Ruth said...

Love it! Now I want to watch it again, too!

Karen Edmisten said...

Penelope, you have to have movie night SOON! :)

Karen Edmisten said...

Yes! Schedule movie night! :D

mbhmaine said...

This is great, Karen! I love the Shrinklit concept. :) At the library the other day, I overheard a very young child telling her mother that spring was coming earlier this year cause the groundhog didn't see it's shadow. She explained the whole thing to her mother quite charmingly.

Karen Edmisten said...

Thank you! And, oh, I would have loved hearing that little girl. :) She sounds utterly delightful. :)