Sunday, August 20, 2017

Bits and Pieces of Our Days


As Imperceptibly as Grief, the Summer Lapsed Away....
~~ Emily Dickinson 

No one can nail it quite like my girl Emily. 

~~~~~

I didn't mean to let the last few weeks slip by without writing. It just sort of happened, in the midst of a crazy late-July/early August. Some of the craziness had us dealing with some hard stuff (I don't mean to vague-blog...I'm sure I'll be able to say more soon), and some of it was just the busy-ness of life.

Atticus, for example, is already back at work. He started on August 9th. And, as happens every year, I'm scrambling to remember what it's like to think about making dinner every night. Can't remember where on Facebook I saw this, but it is the perfect new header for my "What's for Dinner?" chalkboard:

Pros and Cons of Making Food 

Pros: Food 
Cons: Making it 


~~~~~


This is one of our baby swallows. They nest on our back porch every year, and this year we were privy to every step of the fledglings leaving the nest. The girls and I were enchanted. 

~~~~~


I think Ramona should be a picture book illustrator. Here's her rendering of Ten and Rose. 

~~~~~


I love having a daughter who loves to bake. 

~~~~~


One of the highlights of every  month for Ramona: a new ScrawlrBox. Worth every penny for my teen artist. 

~~~~~


This cup? 

When my girls were little, it sported a Cookie Monster design. Over the years and through thousands of washings the design faded (as imperceptibly as grief, Cookie Monster lapsed away.) 

The cup has remained in the cupboard but this week it's going with Betsy to her first apartment.

Serve her well, Cookie Monster cup. We'll miss you. 

7 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

Wow, that Ramona IS indeed an illustrator! And Betsy's first apartment...?! Isn't she twelve!??!

As imperceptibly as grief fades, time flies away. Indeed.

Tabatha said...

Had to laugh at the pros and cons of making food :-)

Beautiful cupcakes and illustration!

Best of luck to Betsy.

Karen Edmisten said...

Tanita, she IS twelve, right? Right?! :)
I'll share your encouragement with Ramona!

Tabatha, yeah, I loved the pros and cons. :) And will share your kind words with the girls, too!

Ruth said...

Thank you for sharing bits and pieces of your days!

Karen Edmisten said...

Thanks for sharing it with us, Ruth!

Polly King said...

Love the style of her illustrations. Lots of good stuff here, Karen!

Karen Edmisten said...

Thanks, Polly!