Monday, July 06, 2015

Book Lists: A Pile of Notes from Over the Years



Book lists are everywhere. I don't need to provide you with a specific list of what you should read, because our favorites might not be your favorites. But I can give you a list of lists, compiled, referred to, and loved over the last fifteen years of homeschooling:

Alicia Van Hecke's Love2Learn Family Read Aloud List

Reading Your Way Through History

Emmanuel Books catalog

Melissa Wiley's Book Recommendations

Melissa Wiley's Booklist List

Mother of Divine Grace curriculum lists

Catholic Heritage Curricula catalog

Simply Charlotte Mason Read Aloud List

Simply Charlotte Mason Living Science Books

A Charlotte Mason Home booklist by grade level

Maureen Wittmann's For the Love of Literature Book List (and the Kindle book.)

Homeschool Connections List of Living Math Books

Penny Gardner's Living Math Books

Treasure Chest for Tweens (a review site of a variety of books)

Sonlight catalog (download the pdf to take a look at the title index)

Simple Homeschool's Top 25 Read Alouds

Not a free resource, but a great one: Jim Trelease's The Read-Aloud Handbook.

(And, ETA, thanks, Liz in the comments: Honey for a Child's Heart. Great reading lists in that one, too. Can't believe I'd forgotten to include it.)

I know there are more ... now where did I leave that other pile of lists?

6 comments:

Liz said...

Honey For A Child's Heart and Books Children Love were two resources I went with. I discovered the Arthur Ransome books through The Growing Without Schooling Newsletter. But Honey For A Child's Heart was my go to for years and years. I hate to think of the books we would have missed without that one. Trelease couldn't even touch it.

Karen Edmisten said...

Liz, thank you, yes! I can't believe I forgot to include that one. Will edit the post asap. :)

Daria Sockey said...

Honey for a Child's Heart was the book we relied on for literature lists while homeschooling. Like the Trelease book but informed by a specifically Christian worldview.

Karen Edmisten said...

Yes, I remember when I found Honey for a Child's Heart -- I had already found many of the book recs/pieced together much of what it offered from other sources (and by then, there were so many discussion groups on the internet, and those were a great resource, too), but it was a great one for bringing it all together. I lent my copy out to someone and never got it back, so it had faded a bit from my memory! :) Glad you two mentioned how much it helped you. I've always found Alicia van Hecke's work (book reviews, booklists, etc., at Love2Learn) to serve the same purpose, keeping our Christian worldview in mind.

rachel said...

Wow, wow, wow! So excited to see these lists. We homeschool, so ostensibly I'm happy to have the resources for my kids, but really it's for me. ;) Can't wait to get reading.

Karen Edmisten said...

Yes, Rachel, I love booklists, too. They make me happy. :)