Friday, October 24, 2014

Poetry Friday: Called (aka, waking in the night with a child....)


This is a lovely little poem about rising in the night to answer the call of a child, and it reminded me of the one I wrote on the same idea, "Thirteen Ways of Looking At an Interruption."

May you not hear a distress call tonight, may your home be filled with peaceful slumber this weekend, and if you do hear that call, may you answer it with math, grace, and whatever else helps.


Called 
by Lisa Gluskin Stonestreet

and I go

down into it, the hall again
(streetlights, blinds)

all the same all the dark

down into it and do what must be done

(Read the whole poem here, at Poets.org.)

~~~~~

Cathy Mere has the round up at Merely Day By Day.

4 comments:

Linda B said...

This is new to me, Karen, love it, but makes me a little tired-all those nights. I wonder if a new colleague (and new father) would enjoy it, or maybe I will wait a while? Thanks!

Tabatha said...

Enjoyed "Called" and I particularly savored re-reading "Thirteen Ways of Looking at an Interruption."

Karen Edmisten said...

Aw, thanks, Tabatha!

Linda, I think a new father would enjoy it. He's certainly in the "I can relate" stage. :)

Cathy said...

Oh, this poem did make me smile. Honestly, I was lucky my children were pretty good sleepers (or maybe I just slept very soundly...who knows?). However, I remember those early nights up several times to walk the halls and then float back to sleep.

Now my children are grown. My night's awake are sometimes different. I sometimes miss those 3 a.m. calls for comfort, but only sometimes. LOL

Cathy