Friday, November 18, 2011

Poetry Friday: Books, by Billy Collins


Books on my mind ...

a book I am writing,
a book I have written ...


books I've written in my head,
but may never write ...




a book my NaNoWriMo-ing
daughter is writing this month ...

books I've just read ...

the pile of books I want to read ....

Billy Collins talks about them all here -- the "low, gigantic chord of language."



Books
by Billy Collins

From the heart of this dark, evacuated campus
I can hear the library humming in the night,
a choir of authors murmuring inside their books
along the unlit, alphabetical shelves,
Giovanni Pontano next to Pope, Dumas next to his son,
each one stitched into his own private coat,
together forming a low, gigantic chord of language
....

(Read the whole thing here, at The Writer's Almanac.)

Tabatha has the Poetry Friday round-up at The Opposite of Indifference.

4 comments:

Ruth said...

Wonderful poem. I love "reading ourselves away from ourselves."

My daughter is doing NaNoWriMo too! And my son is doing the YWP version. November fun!

tanita✿davis said...

Ooh. Book Auntie is very interested in this NaNo thing!

And Billy Collins is always great in the morning.

Tara said...

I just love these lines:
all of us reading ourselves away from ourselves,
straining in circles of light to find more light

thats' what the joy of reading is all about, isn't it?!

Karen Edmisten said...

Tara and Ruth, yes, I love those lines, too.

Ruth -- fun! It makes me want to try it, too. If I weren't at work on another book, I would.

Auntie Tanita, I'll bet Betsy would love your input! :)