Saturday, November 19, 2011

Bits and Pieces of Our Days



Remember last year, when it was a good morning to cry? This morning, we had our second annual Holy Mass of Remembrance. Unfortunately, freezing rain and treacherous roads probably kept a number of people away, but it was a beautiful Mass, and a holy time.  I'm grateful to our pastor for insuring that we keep making this Mass happen.


~~~~~~~~~~

Today's Trivia:

Q.: How do you know when Advent is just a week away?

A.: Ramona is regularly wearing the Christmas tree skirt. She is one stylin' little elf.

~~~~~~~~~~

Books read recently that I should write more about:

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton 

~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks to a connection made through Suzie Andres, our family recently met the Treehouse Family.  Elm and her RVing gang were in our area so quite obviously it made sense to meet. We spent part of the morning touring an egg farm and then we had lunch together. (They sweetly treated -- I hope I didn't sound needy when I tried to discreetly ask the waitress if they'd take an out-of-town check after I saw the "NO CREDIT CARDS" sign ... yeesh, I never carry cash ....) It was fun to see Elm's little girl and Ramona spend the entire lunch time talking books and I felt like Elm was a kindred spirit and an old friend. Both she and her husband were as sweet and kind as could be. It was a delightful day!

2 comments:

Danae said...

What did you think of The Glass Castle? I haven't read it and I was just curious.

Karen Edmisten said...

Oh, Danae, it's both fascinating and awful. Fascinating, interesting, well written, but so sad. Amazing she came out of it alive. Not surprising that she became a gossip maven (as I think she admits herself -- that she was intrigued by the idea of exposing people's secrets, the idea that we all have them and some people's ugly secrets are simply more transparent than others') ... will lend it if you're interested.