Friday, June 11, 2010

Poetry Friday: Ted Kooser

I love Ted Kooser. That's all I have to say. I love this man.

In The Alley

by Ted Kooser

In the alley behind the florist's shop,
a huge white garbage truck was parked and idling.
In a cloud of exhaust, two men in coveralls
and stocking caps, their noses dripping,
were picking through the florist's dumpster
and each had selected a fistful of roses.

As I walked past, they gave me a furtive,
conspiratorial nod, perhaps sensing
that I, too (though in my business suit and tie)

Read the whole poem here, at The Writer's Almanac.

Today's Poetry Friday Round up is at Kelly Polark's place.


Shelley said...

His work is nothing like mine, but I love Ted Kooser's work too!

And that's all I have to say!

Mary Lee said...

When I saw your link at Kelly Polark's blog (Karen Edmisten is in with Ted Kooser today) I said to myself, "I love Ted Kooser." Then I came here and read you saying the very same thing!

Great poem.

Jeannine Atkins said...

Please add my name to the chorus: love Ted Kooser! Besides his poems, his toolbox book on "how to" write poetry is one I often recommend.

Karen E. said...

And I love this Kooser quote:

"A poem is a record of a discovery."

Margaret Mary Myers said...

Love it.

Kelly said...

Lovely poem!

Melanie B said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you. That's wonderful!

Ana Braga-Henebry said...

You gotta love this poet.