Thursday, March 12, 2009

Joining Michele's Discussion: What is Education?

Michele Quigley wants to start a bit of discussion:

Her discussion starter: "What is Education?"

Below is Michele's list of questions, and my answer to the first one. (I plan to answer them in separate posts, because each question is post-worthy on its own.)

I hope you'll chime in with responses, your own list of answers, or links to posts you've done on the topic and/or these questions.

**********

What have you read?

Here's the list of what I can remember. Each of them was useful to me at some point in our homeschooling journey:


Catholic Education: Homeward Bound : A Useful Guide to Catholic Home Schooling by Kimberly Hahn and Mary Hasson

Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum, by Laura Bergquist

Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense, by David Guterson

How Children Learn, by John Holt

How Children Fail, by John Holt

Homeschooling with Gentleness by Suzie Andres

A Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola

Schoolproof by Mary Pride

Homeschooling Our Children, Unschooling Ourselves by Alison McKee

The Catholic Homeschool Companion, compiled by MaureenWittmann

Pocketful of Pinecones by Karen Andreola

A Charlotte Mason Education by Catherine Levison

The Homeschool Journey by Susan and Michael Card

Educating the Wholehearted Child by Sally and Clay Clarkson

Real Learning by Elizabeth Foss

One hundred and one Devotions for Homeschool Moms by Jackie Wellwood

Homeschooling the Teen Years by Cafi Cohen

Homeschooling High School by Jeanne Gowen Dennis

Haystack Full of Needles by Alice Gunther

~~~~~~~~~~

This booklist is a visual representation of our style -- part CM, a dash of classical, a bit of unschooling.

What have you read that inspired you?

**********

Upcoming questions:


What’s your experience?


How have your ideas about education evolved and changed over time (if they have).

Why did you choose to homeschool?


What’s working? What’s not working?

What are you aiming for?

3 comments:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

I am such a huge nerd. My oldest is not even 3; but posts like this excite me so much. I want to play along too.

I'm looking at your book list and realizing I've read more than half.

Maybe I will try to answer some of these questions on my blog. The ones that are applicable, at least.

Karen Edmisten said...

It might be just you and me, Melanie, but we'll talk! :-)

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Yes we will. :)

More geekyness: I've started going through my blog archives looking at my first posts on homeschooling and my first reviews of homeschooling books. I began back in March of 06. I can't believe it's been three years since I started this journey. I sounded so wide-eyed, everything was so very new. I think I recorded every new homeschooling blog I found. And now so many of you feel like.... no, are old friends.