Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Thank you ... I think

Recently, I watched a silly show with my daughters. The mom in the show was coiffed, made up, and dressed in simple but fashionable clothing. Anne-with-an-e said, "This is so unrealistic. In real life, no mom could actually look that good every day."

I smiled, inwardly feeling quite smug that all of my "TV training" is paying off. That is, ever since my children began watching television, I began countering its messages. I say things such as, "That is so unrealistic. In real life, no mermaid would disobey her father so completely and then still have everything turn out for the best in the end."

So, I was pleased by this proof that Anne has internalized my messages and does not expect real life to look like TV.

But then, I did a double-take. Atticus and I looked at each other. He was suppressing a smile. Wait a minute ... the mom on the show wasn't that well-dressed. She looked like ... well, like me, on days when I'm going to leave the house and be seen by the world at large. In other words, she was clean, neat and had on a pair of khakis. I cast a furtive glance at the sweatpants that'd been my fashion pick for the day. Hmmm .... I made a mental note to sometimes don the khakis when we're staying home for the day.

Not, mind you, that I'm giving in to pressure from the media. And I am not trying to live up to the unrealistic standards of television beauty. I'm just trying to ... ummm, well ....

Okay, I'll admit it. While I was delighted that my daughter granted me permission to be comfortable and normal, I felt like a slob. Then I felt like a fake ("Don't you want her to know that real life is not like TV?") then I felt like laughing with Atticus, which I did (and he is, of course, the kind of husband who acts as if I'm beautiful no matter what I'm wearing and no matter what my hair is doing.)

And you'll never guess what I'm wearing right now. But, later today, since we will be venturing out, I'll look like a TV mom. Until we get home.

2 comments:

Alice Gunther said...

This is so funny. A couple of months ago it occurred to me that I was not looking to good at home. My solution--contact lenses every day. That's it! I figured if it was worth the effort outside the home, it was worth the effort for my children. Within a few days, the older girls complained that they missed me in glasses!

I've tried makeup every day, but that is completely impossible. Still, perhaps a pair of khakis wouldn't be a bad idea!

Alice Gunther said...

Agh! I meant to type "not looking TOO good." : )