Friday, February 17, 2006

Isn't chocolate the fifth food group?

Last night while dinner was in the oven (do I have to confess that it was a frozen pizza? Atticus had a snow day off from school and we were shooting for "relaxed"), Ramona asked, "Can I have one of those little chocolates from my Valentine box?"

"No," I said, in my best imitation of a mother. "It's almost time for dinner."

But of course I was mentally debating whether frozen pizza was really healthier than a chocolate cream.

"Oh, pleeeeease," she begged in that irresistable way that only a three-year-old who's still in pajamas at 5 p.m. can.

"No," I said, standing my frozen pizza ground.

"Humph," she huffed, hands on hips. "Can I have anything that's unhealthy?"

5 comments:

Karen Edmisten said...

I stand not only corrected but delighted.

Liz said...

But chocolate is not unhealthy, Ramona! Recent studies have shown that dark chocolate, especially the dark chocolate in Dove bars (need I admit that I laughed with glee to find this out) are actually healthy for your heart. Isn't it convenient that dark chocolate, especially Dove dark chocolate is my very favorite kind of chocolate.

My motto about chocolate in general, is to not eat the cheap stuff i.e. I usually skip the Hershey's kisses, Karen. The cheap stuff isn't worth the calories. Now Dove, Lindt, Godiva, and other esotic varieties can be worth the calories. I must admit to being a very careful chocolate consumer. I'll try something once, but if it doesn't pass the Dove test, I won't buy it a second time.

Of course I'll eat brownies, chocolate cake, anything made with Ghiradelli cocoa or chips. I'm discriminating, but I'm not crazy. In a pinch (like when there's no other chocolate on the horizon), I'll even eat Hershey's kisses, but it will be a real sacrifice. It's sort of like drinking the $5.00 a bottle white wine instead of the $20 a bottle stuff from Alsace (another sad lesson I've learned in recent years is that the more expensive wine really does taste better, this is why I'm avoiding even tasting $40 a bottle stuff!).

I'm with Ramona, one chocolate before dinner only works as an aperitif.

The Bookworm said...

Now if only someone could invent a chocolate pizza ...

Liz said...

Actually, Bookworm, I've made a chocolate pizza before. You use a brownie mix for the crust (you have to put parchment paper on your pan first), then you use a sweetened cream cheese for the sauce (rather like what you'd use for cheese cake), then top it with strawberries (can include crushed pineapple and bananas if you like) Pampered Chef has a recipe for it. I don't remember the name for sure, but it might be Brownie Pizza. Of course this is obviously dessert pizza, but pizza none-the-less.

The Bookworm said...

Ooohhhh!!! Drool .... (What? A chocoholic? Me?)