Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The family that paints together

Before the new carpet arrives, we took advantage of the empty room and put a new coat of paint on it. I got lots of help. I mean, lots of help. Oh, yes, once in awhile I caught myself pursing my lips, Marmee-style, holding in a sharp response to childish antics, but most of the antics were sweet, fun, in-the-spirit-of-helpfulness and a joy to see. Witness:

* Ramona the Artist, blissfully painting smiley faces all over the wall (and, just for good measure, one big frown)

* Betsy, lovingly but firmly telling her, "Now, Sweetie, you realize this is the only time that you get to paint on walls like this" (then looking conspiratorially my way for affirmation that she is being The Responsible Big Sister)

* Anne-with-an-e observing that, "Boy, Mom, this painting stuff is kind of a workout!"

They had an amazing sixth sense when "CyberChase" was about to start that it seemed like the perfect time for a break. While they munched some popcorn and were subliminally drenched in math, I did some major work with the roller and we were finished before dinner time.

And now, they're invested in that room. They want it to stay clean and pretty because they put so much work into it.

Hey, this has all kinds of promising implications ... I'll get them started painting every room in the house.

3 comments:

Liz said...

So what's the color scheme?

Karen Edmisten said...

The walls are "Pink Shock." :-) The wallpaper border (the same one they've had -- nice to know they like it enough that they didn't want to change it) has butterflies, daisies, grass and blue trim. And, we happened to luck into a carpet remnant that is the exact blue that's in the wallpaper. :-)

Liz said...

Oh that sounds so pretty! Isn't it great that you found a carpet remnant that matched it so nicely! I'm assuming that because it's a remnant it cost less too.

Is the room the girls bedroom or is it a playroom?

I ruly wish I could paint something pink shock around here. It sounds very cheerful and pleasant. I hope your girls enjoy that color for a long time to come.