Friday, February 10, 2006

Dancing in the kitchen

Having a bad day?

Drop everything and do this:

Put on your favorite music (it doesn't matter what, as long as it's your favorite), scoop up the nearest small child and dance with her. Twirl her, hold her, make her laugh, and kiss her sweet cheeks.

It works. It works with all kinds of music. If you love the music, it will change the moment.

This morning, I danced with Ramona in the kitchen. We were listening to "The Water is Wide" (yes, this was more the glide-and-sway, rather than the toss-and-twirl variety of dance) and this is what she said:

"This song reminds me of how much I love my family."

And it changed our day.

Atticus recently reminded me of this quote, which sums up that feeling we get when music reaches into our depths:

"All art aspires to the condition of music." ~~ Walter Pater

2 comments:

Lou Pickney said...

Music is a wonderful thing. It is powerful enough to change emotions with just a few notes, and at its best it connects with you in a way that few other things can.

Becky said...

One of my favorite fridge magnets, a gift from my husband, says, "Dance as if no-one is watching." The problem is that when the kids and I dance in the kitchen, which we, um, do often, anyone and everyone can see us lol. But it's an excellent way of getting rid of pesky neighbors and people trying to sell us things...

Keep dancing : )