Monday, February 27, 2006

Another note on Lent


Do you have a crown of thorns?

When I was received into the Catholic Church eleven years ago, my friend Jack gave me an incredible gift: a crown of thorns. Not a miniature replica, nor a harmless likeness, but a real, sharp, terrible, beautiful crown of thorns that would draw blood if I were to don the thing.

Every year, during Lent, it is displayed in a prominent place in our home. It does wonders for my tiny Lenten sacrifices. It keeps them in their place and aids in my perspective. It keeps me close in thought to the God, the Man, who gave everything for me, the One who continues to love me no matter how weak I am, or how petty or selfish. No matter what I do, no matter how much I may stray or grow lukewarm, He is there. He is faithful. He is waiting for the one He loves to return. That's what Lent is for me ... a rekindling of the greatest love affair of my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been forced out of lurkerdom to ask where one would possibly get a real crown of thorns?

j.a.varela said...

Looking for an Advent Crown to put in my side bar I found your blog. Congratulations.

Feel free to visit our family blog. Your comments will be wellcome.

j.a.varela