Monday, January 02, 2006

A real life fairy tale

We rented Cinderella Man last night. I didn't know anything about James Braddock before last night, but now I know, as much as movies can be relied on to tell true stories, that he was an admirable, amazing man whose every action seemed to spring from love for his wife and children (that's about all it takes to win me over.) Roger Ebert's review sums it all up rather nicely.

One thing Ebert doesn't mention is how utterly delightful it was to see that the Braddock family's Catholicism, while not explored in any depth, is at least portrayed as real and true, and not something worthy of ridicule. When Braddock heads out for the final showdown, his wife heads to church to pray. I won't say any more, because I don't want to ruin the moment, but it's a nice moment.

When my girls are a little older, and can handle the violence of the fight scenes, this is definitely one I'll let them see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fight scenes!? Were there fight scenes? I'm in my [ahem] latter 40's and am still not old enough to "handle the violence" but from what I saw between the fingers, it was a marvelous movie. What lengths some fathers will go to to put food on the table.

Karen Edmisten said...

Genevieve said:
"but from what I saw between the fingers, it was a marvelous movie."
*****************
LOL! Yeah, I have to admit to looking away every time one of the managers reached for a coin (shudder ....)