Monday, January 23, 2006

Crocheting 101

That's "101" as in "101 feet."

Betsy's current obsession is crocheting. Since I don't know much about it beyond making a chain, that's what Betsy's doing. And a long chain it is. So far, it runs from the living room through the kitchen, into the bathroom, and back through the living room. Her goal is to have it continue its path down the stairs and all over the basement.

I'm not sure it's any more useful than the gum wrapper chains I made when I was a kid, but it's prettier, I think, and more satisfying to its creator (though I was quite proud of those gum-wrappers-turned-art.)

Our next step is to figure out what to do beyond chains. Looks like the library has "Kids crochet : projects for kids of all ages" and a video called "Kids in Stitches." And fortunately, the library is never more than a few days away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the beginnings of a craft obsession. The next steps are not that difficult since other crochet stitches are simply a variation on the chain, but you make the stitches in the loops of the chain you already have. I so wish I were there to show her. But look on line there are knitting blogs galore, there must be crochet ones as well. Or better yet, isn't there a little old lady in your parish who'd just love to teach a little girl to crochet?

I suggest a granny square afghan for her doll's bed, for a first project. My first big crochet project (other than an aborted attempt at a bikini ( straight out of Cosmo magazine -don't ask!) and a very long scarf to go with my maxi coat (which I crocheted in psychology class) when I was in college was a blanket that consisted of one very large granny square. One of my high school students taught me to make a granny square and I just didn't know when to quit!

Seriously I used to crochet a lot. I practically never even pick up a crochet hook anymore except to pick up dropped stitches in knitting. I do remember how quickly crochet projects went though. Tell Betsy welcome to the world of fiberholics.

Friar Suppliers said...

Maybe she could wind it up and put in a stitch to hold it as a braided rug for her dollhouse?

It's nice that she is interested in handcrafts. It is such a wonderful hobby and could lead to all kinds of creative things.