Thursday, July 16, 2026

Poetry Friday: "On Days Like This" by Rudy Francisco

from Button Poetry 

My youngest daughter introduced me to Rudy Francisco.
And I ask you: What would we do without daughters? 
Without poets?
Without the beauty of the spoken word? 

"Being human is difficult. 
Being a good human is even harder. 
But it's still something I would like to accomplish." 
~ Rudy Francisco 


Here's Rudy Francisco, sharing "On Days Like This":   


~~~~~~~~~~

13 comments:

Jill Dailey said...

Karen, thanks for the Rudy Francisco inspiration! Yes to the inspiration from daughters and poets. I think of so many days when daughter conversations and poems have made my day:)

Denise Krebs said...

Oh, yes, thankful for daughters and poets and Rudy Francisco and Karen Edmisten and her shockingly clever titled blog today. Thanks for posting this spoken word poem, Karen.

Karen Edmisten said...

Jill, yes to “daughter conversations and poems” making our days. :D

Karen Edmisten said...

Aw, thanks for including me in such stellar company, Denise! Off to see what you’ve posted today.

Mary Lee said...

Wow. Just...wow. The words, the performance, the wisdom. Thank you!

Janice Scully said...

I loved this performance! Thanks, Karen! I want to share this with my son.

Rose Cappelli said...

Thanks so much for this spoken word gift, Karen. Incredible!

Carol Varsalona said...

Karen, your poem and Rudy spoken words brought me to another place, the place I should be thinking about instead of grieving over loss and mistakes. Thank you for this gift and your support.

Margaret Simon said...

I love having adult daughters that share wisdom with me. Thanks for sharing this inspiring poet.

Irene Latham said...

Karen, I love that your daughter shared this with you (and you with us!). I do think the mother-daughter relationship is so, so powerful, and I've only experienced it as the daughter! xo

Patricia Franz said...

Oh gosh... On days like this I swim in a friend's poetry share! Thank you, Karen!

Linda Mitchell said...

I don't know where we would be without daughters. There was a time that I never thought I'd be a mother at all...and then daughters. Such a beautiful, wonderful life I have with them. Wow, this poem...this spoken word with this passion. "All the things I could be..."

Carmela Martino said...

Wow! Thank you for introducing me to Rudy Francisco and sharing this amazing poem, Karen.