Thursday, August 06, 2026

Poetry Friday: "Days" by Philip Larkin


I've taken some days off from the blog (not that I spend that many days on the blog...) but I'm back. I've been busy with some writing — a couple of stories for little kiddos are out on submission, and I'm working on a picture book manuscript. (In some ways, writing my 30,000+ word non-fiction books for grown-ups was so much easier than writing a picture book. Not that I would have said so at the time, when I wrote them under deadlines, right?) 

The intricate maneuvering required for any kind of writing — placing precisely the right words into carefully allotted spaces — is a mad skill. One day you feel like you've mastered it. Two days later, you wonder why anyone ever trusted you with a pen or a keyboard. 

Philip Larkin nailed the skill when he wrote this ten-line poem. I wonder if two days later he thought it was all a dumpster fire? 


Days
by Philip Larkin

What are days for?
Days are where we live.
They come, they wake us
Time and time over.
....

~~~~~~~~~~



10 comments:

Linda M. said...

Oh, I'm totally in on that idea of "mad skill." Can I add the fear of never being able to get it right again? Geesh, it's like being constantly unstable. The Larkin poem made me giggle with the robes of the doctor and the priest. Oh, so true and mad in it's way too. Thanks for sharing this poem. And, best thoughts to your writing and subs.

Karen Edmisten said...

Thanks so much, Linda! Yes to the fear of never getting it right again. Writing knows how to do a number on writers. :)

elli said...

Lovely to see you here again in this space, Karen. I always so enjoy what you share. Wishing you all best with the writing! I am, as ever, writing every single day, in myriad sorts of ways and conditions. Who knows what my dreams of publishing (blog, book) may yet unfold?? 🤗📖

Linda B said...

Being 'wordy' seems to be what many of us are, right? So, choosing just the beautiful "few" words is a gift that is a challenge to open. Wishing you the chance to look inside & find what's needed, Karen! I love that Larkin seems to answer his questions, at least in part!

Karen Edmisten said...

Lovely to see you too! Keep the dream alive, elli, and keep us posted!

Karen Edmisten said...

The ups and downs are part of writing, aren’t they? My favorite thing is when magic happens, when I pull out an old piece of writing and surprise myself with my own reaction: “Did I actually write that? Wow, that’s good!” Lol! Of course, even then, there’s usually some revision begging to happen. :)

Denise Krebs said...

Karen, it's good to see you back here, and thinking on these big ideas! Yes, mad skill, to be sure. All the best to you as you tackle the picture book, and best wishes on your submissions.

Karen Edmisten said...

Thanks so much, Denise! I’m looking forward to making the rounds and seeing what everyone’s shared this week.

Patricia Franz said...

Such a big question "What are days for?" -- Sort of a version of my own: "What else are we gonna do?" ;)

Karen Edmisten said...

Yes, Patricia, what else are we gonna do?! :D Onward!