Thursday, September 08, 2022

Poetry Friday: Pangur Bán (a monk and his cat, or, me and our new kitten)


We have a new kitten. I am smitten.
She is (I say with complete objectivity) perfect.

As the poet said, "Truth to tell, just being here,/Housed alone, housed together,/Adds up to its own reward." 



Pangur Bán 
By Anonymous 
Translated by Seamus Heaney 
(from a ninth-century Irish poem about a monk and his cat) 

 Pangur Bán and I at work, 
Adepts, equals, cat and clerk: 
His whole instinct is to hunt, 
Mine to free the meaning pent. 

More than loud acclaim, I love 
Books, silence, thought, my alcove. 
Happy for me, Pangur Bán 
Child-plays round some mouse’s den. 

Truth to tell, just being here, 
Housed alone, housed together, 
Adds up to its own reward: 
Concentration, stealthy art.



~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Poetry Friday roundup is being hosted this week 

And just in case you need another dose of Maisy: 




11 comments:

Tabatha said...

Writing and cats just go together! Maisy is extremely precious. (More photos!)

jama said...

Maisy!!! Adorable!!! Love love love the poem -- utterly charming. You're the cat's meow this week, Karen. Made my day. :)

Linda B said...

Sending this on to my daughter who has six cats, some have found them from the neighborhood, even a kitty! Welcome, Maisy, love that stretch, & Heaney's translation, just the matter-of-facts about a cat!

Linda Mitchell said...

Oh, do I love this stanza...
"Truth to tell, just being here,
Housed alone, housed together,
Adds up to its own reward:
Concentration, stealthy art." It's already in my journal. Thanks for the gift of it. And, a new kitten?! Nothing better than that. Our old boy is winding down. It's been a great run. I'm bracing myself for the loneliness that's coming. Seeing a new kitten is a comfort.

jone said...

Maisie! A perfect name for a cat. I love it .

Mary Lee said...

Love the picture of Maisy splooting on the couch!

And what a perfect poem. I aspire to this:

"my own hard work
Solves the cruxes, makes a mark."

Rose Cappelli said...

I agree, Maisy is about as perfect as perfect can be.

Karen Edmisten said...

- Tabatha, I shall do it! I shall share more photos! :D
- Jama, I'm so glad Maisy could make your day, my dear!
- Linda B. — six?! 😮 I'm a huge cat lover but sadly would not have the space for six. Good for her!
- Linda M., I'm sorry to hear that your old boy is winding down. Our old guy was too. He was nineteen, and we felt like we'd been saying goodbye to him for some time now. When he passed, the house was indeed too quiet (after losing our dog last fall, too.) So, Maisy came to our rescue. Our local shelter does such a great job.
- Jone, thank you!
- Rose, her perfection just kind of shines through, right? 😂


Carol Varsalona said...

Karen, sorry I am here so late. The poem is so lovely and your cat is adorable. Mine to free the meaning pent sounds like what the Poetry Friday writers do.

Karen Edmisten said...

Carol, you are never late and never obligated! Thanks for stopping by. Yes, I agree, that's what Poetry Friday writers do. ;)

elli said...

Just seeing this, Karen — have been spending most of my screen minutes on the passing of The Queen. Ah, what a dear kitty! I love cats, and perhaps one day will have one again. (My young adult son, with whom I abide, longs for a small dog. Perhaps these furry familiars will join us together ...).

And Pangar Bán! Have loved that poem for many years.🤗💛🐈