Friday, August 26, 2022

Poetry Friday: School's In (but not for Atticus!)


Since he usually has summers off, this season with Atticus hasn't felt particularly different. But now? Now that schools all around us are in session, Ramona's started her second year of college, and all of my husband's colleagues have returned to work? Now we're feeling it: 

Atticus is retired. 

Yup. After thirty-five years of teaching, he's retired from full-time work. (And from teetering stacks of sophomore and senior essays hauled home so many weekends.) He plans to sub here and there (so maybe it's more accurate to call him semi-retired?) but it's likely that he'll never again lead a deep dive into Hamlet, or introduce kids to To Kill a Mockingbird, or do his best to help a high school student understand gerunds or tweak a dangling modifier. 

As for us? I know we'll keep talking about those things. We'll keep discussing, learning, and sharing about literature and language, and we'll keep seeking to understand and revel in the world around us. Our hearts will still leap up, as Wordsworth's did. It's a new phase of life, but he's still Atticus. "The Child is the father of the Man." Long live the child, the man, the retiree. 

My heart leaps up. 


My Heart Leaps Up
by William Wordsworth

My heart leaps up when I behold
A rainbow in the sky:
So was it when my life began;
So is it now I am a man;
So be it when I shall grow old,
Or let me die!
The Child is father of the Man;
And I could wish my days to be
Bound each to each by natural piety.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The inimitable Tanita Davis has the round-up today. 
Visit her at fiction, instead of lies. 

14 comments:

Tabatha said...

Congratulations to Atticus! What wonderful contributions he has made. Enjoy this new phase! Love live the child, the man, the retiree.

Susan T. said...

Wait, what? Ramona is in her second year of college? Whoa. That is crazy! Karen, that is so great that Atticus is retired; all sorts of adventures are in store. The Wordsworth poem is perfect for the occasion.

Karen Edmisten said...

Tabatha, thank you so much!
Susan, I know, right?! Ramona was four years old when I started my blog. :) Whaaaaaat?

elli said...

Oh wow, that's a huge life-shift! Wishing Atticus and you, both, easy paddling as together you embark on this new journey — every bend in the river brings fresh wonders and joys, so long as we keep our hearts open to embrace them ... 🕊💖🙏🏽

tanita✿davis said...

Hooray for Atticus finally getting to semi-retire, at least. I suspect he will be subbing more than he suspects. My mother has retired (for the second or third time now), and was subbing first-and-second grade at our local school this last week. Covid has changed what retirement looks like for many educators - but they'll be so glad to have him.

Meanwhile, Ramona and college are two words that I'm going to deny for at least another two years. Someone is getting older, and I think it's... um, Ramona. Yes. It's Ramona. It's NOT ME.

::ahem::


Kathryn said...

I hope you both enjoy this new phase of life. Having the luxury of more time is a wonderful thing?

Atticus said...

Ironically, I used to teach "My Heart Leaps Up" to seniors as a lead in for "Ode: Intimations of Immortality from Recollections of Early Childhood." "Not in utter nakedness do we come from God our home, but trailing clouds of glory.

Linda B said...

Best wishes to Atticus! And, enjoy your newfound time together. I've kept up with colleagues and still imagine what I would share and read or write with my students. Now some are raising their own!

Michelle Kogan said...

Happy retirement to Atticus, or almost retirement–hope you both enjoy this new journey… Thanks for the Wordsworth poem!

PATRICIA J FRANZ said...

So wonderful that you can both look forward to Atticus' retirement! And thank you for Wordsworth - a perfect complement for this milestone.

Karen Edmisten said...

Penelope, thanks for the easy paddling wishes — lovely!

Tanita, I suspect you are right about the need for subs. And I'll suspend time with you and we'll just pretend that no one is growing older. This retirement/college business is just a figment of our young and fertile imaginations.

Kathryn, thank you! We're adjusting to the fact that my schedule hasn't changed while his has changed drastically but that's a wonderful thing to have to adjust to.

Atticus, I forgot that you used to teach this as your Wordsworth lead-in! Appropriate pick then, no? :)

Linda, yes, once a teacher, always a teacher! Atticus, too, has seen the next generation arrive.

Michelle, thanks so much!

Patricia, thank you!

Mary Lee said...

Here's to retirement! Last August, I felt the start of school in my bones and missed it so much. This August, I wasn't even aware of the exact date of the first day of school!

Onward to all the new adventures...for BOTH of you!

Karen Edmisten said...

Mary Lee, I'm thrilled for you that "the day" wasn't even on your radar this year. Hurray! :D

Jessica Coupé said...

Enjoy your new season of life!