![]() |
| first published in the May, 1970 issue of Poetry magazine |
"Having worked/I would sleep..."
Having worked — so hard, for so long, for so many — may he sleep with and in the deepest peace, knowing that he brought so much beauty to the world.
Wendell Berry (August 5, 1934 – August 31, 2026), in addition to his many poems and powerful essays, wrote some of the most beautiful novels I've ever encountered. Here's what I said, ten years back, about Hannah Coulter:
I finished Wendell Berry's Hannah Coulter last week and discovered for myself why my friends, when the title comes up, gasp and seem to rise from the planet for a moment as they relive their own experiences of reading it. When they circle back down to earth and are able to speak again, they always mention underlining, highlighting, and the lyrical beauty of the writing.They are right. And I have joined their ranks.Title character Hannah Coulter, now in her 70s, is looking back over the years of her life. Hannah shares her history with us in prose that is both simple and reflective. I don't think it's a spoiler to share this passage, which comes very early in the book:
When you are old you can look back and see yourself when you were young. It is almost like looking down from Heaven. And you see yourself as a young woman, just a big girl really, half awake to the world. You see yourself happy, holding in your arms a good, decent, gentle, beloved young man with the blood keen in his veins, who before long is going to disappear, just disappear, into a storm of hate and flying metal and fire. And you don't know it.
My copy, with its creased but lovely cover, is full of such underlinings. I read with pencil in hand, marking passage after passage, ripe plums that I wanted to preserve and remember forever. I read Hannah quickly and slowly: flying through the pages, but savoring the words of a world that has passed into memory.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Poetry Friday round-up this week is being



20 comments:
"....there grew an acceptance of decline..." -- I aspire to the cloak of peace that found Berry's shoulders. Can you imagine if he had not come home to Ky?? What a blessing the legacy he leaves us.
Sigh. this is lovely, Karen. So many losses, of late … I've pulled out his Sabbath Poems collection (the first one) for a reread (one poem, per poet, per day at Morning Prayer). I've still not read H.C. Maybe one day …
Patricia, that line makes me catch my breath, every time. ❤️
elli, yes, the Sabbath Poems are so lovely and moving. What a way to start your day. xo
Karen, I LOVE this Wendell Berry poem!!! Especially love "they tossed themselves...like rags." Also must now order and read "Hannah Coulter" bc of your amazing recommendation!!! Thank you for all this Poetry Friday goodness!
Mona, it's my pleasure to spread the word about (and love for) Berry. Enjoy the beauty that is Hannah Coulter! ❤️
Ugh, with all the Blogger/commenting problems today and now my own comment shows as Anonymous. That was me, Mona! :)
I was so saddened to hear of Wendell Berry's death. It really stopped me in my tracks. His poem "The Peace of Wild Things" is one of my favorites and one of few poems I've tried to memorize. The poem you shared is so gorgeous and profound with so many striking images. I remember you mentioning Hannah Coulter before and now I must go in search of it. Thank you.
Molly, I was so saddened too. I think I thought he'd live forever. "The Peace of Wild Things" is also one of my favorites. It's perfect.
So glad that the 'commenting' is back, Karen! Here's what I tried to send yesterday! : ) I know my list of Wendell Berry's words will be long by the end of this weekend, Karen. I did read Hannah Coulter long ago, but after reading your thoughts, I know it's time to get it again. Thank you for sharing so much!
Thanks for this lovely dose of Wendell Berry.
Me too, Linda! Yesterday was frustrating. :) I think I owe Wendell and Hannah a reread too. ❤️
He's a treasure. xo
My heart broke when I learned that he died, but luckily, my recently purchased copy of THIS DAY was sitting on the table beside the end of the couch where I read, so I could fall right into his words. I want to read EVERYTHING he's written now.
Same, Mary Lee. His final book is set to release next month:
https://www.berrycenterbookstore.com/product/-preorder-dispatches-from-rural-america-sixteen-essays/UTPUX4XI4VCWZSE3JLH7SYAE?cs=true&cst=custom
Shoot, I forgot to hyperlink that, but you can get there from here. :)
We were on the same wavelength this week with Wendell Berry, Karen. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Hannah Coulter is now on my To-Read list.
Karen, thank you for sharing about Wendell Berry. I too loved Hannah Coulter. How did he do that magical writing from a woman's perspective? Your tribute post is beautiful.
Oh, I need to get Hannah Coulter. Thank you for the "September" by Berry. What a loss. Thankful to still have his words.
* Rose, yes, we were! Savor that time with Hannah. :)
* Denise, he accomplished quite a feat, didn't he? I've often wondered how much his wife, Tanya, contributed to Hannah's innermost thoughts and her reflections on motherhood. I know she edited for him, so I have to think that she helped shape Hannah quite a bit.
* Jone, yes, he left such a legacy!
Post a Comment