Recently, when I should have been writing, I did some cleaning instead. (Oh, you know this tired tale, don't you, Other Writers? I know you do.)
In this episode of "Writers Love to Procrastinate and Claim it's a Valid Step in the Process," I ditched mops, feather dusters, and closet organization for some intense digital clean-up. I tidied my blog and my website.
(They needed it. Really. This wasn't entirely procrastination. Ahem.) I created a new banner, spiffed up the sidebar info, changed my profile picture. (If I look particularly happy in the new one, it's because I was seeing Wicked with one of my daughters—again—on this past 4th of July. We had a fabulous day. And what an apt day it was for Wicked, that tale of injustice, discrimination, the power of friendship, and the necessity of fighting an oppressive, authoritarian regime. Happy 4th! But I digress.) I started thinking about Billy Collins's poem, "Advice to Writers." I always laugh at, "Clean the place as if the Pope were on his way./Spotlessness is the niece of inspiration."
Would that it were so, O Poetry Gods!
Advice to Writers
wash down the walls and scrub the floor
of your study before composing a syllable.
Clean the place as if the Pope were on his way.
Spotlessness is the niece of inspiration.
The more you clean, the more brilliant
your writing will be, so do not hesitate to take
to the open fields to scour the undersides
~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Poetry Friday round-up is being hosted by the lovely Linda Baie at TeacherDance.
Photo courtesy of Michal Jarmoluk at Pixabay.

11 comments:
Oh, yes! I know this feeling well, Karen! I was working on a poem called "Potluck for Procrastinators" but since nobody got around to making anything, there was nothing to write about:).
Ha! There will always be something that needs to be done instead of the writing! I try to prioritize my MIP (most important project) as the first writing I do every day, before tending to all the Other Things...otherwise I'd never get to it! xo
This is new to me, & I will print it out for a smile as I move around my home, dusting, Karen! Thanks for reminding us of one of our habits, long ingrained!
Mona, I love the title of that poem! :D You made me laugh. When you finish with the dusting, be sure to finish the poem and share it with us. π.
Absolutely, Irene! We've all been there. The only way out of writing is through it. π❤️
Linda, enjoy it as you procrastinate. ππ
Me? Procrastinate? Why do you think my house is full of unnecessary objects purchased online? (I'd rather shop than clean.) Thanks for sharing Collins's poem -- needed to smile on this solemn day. Does the Pope visit you often? :D
Karen, what a fabulous poem π… I really like the new header, digital updates and tidying are so pleasing — like dusting bookshelvesπ
I know that feeling well, Karen. I can always find something else to do when I sit down to write. Your tidying was very effective!
I have a chaos of books on my writing table. I do believe dealing with that will help me, so that’s first on my list. And fall weather always helps to get me writing. I loved reading about the environments writers seek. Thanks Karen!
Ooo, I need to do some serious blog cleaning. I love what you’ve done with the place! Lovely header. Billy Collins is always good for a chuckle.
Post a Comment