Thursday, August 20, 2026

Poetry Friday: "End of Summer"

Do you mind a rerun? (It's been that kind of week, and this little poem is appropriate for the moment.) 

While out walking yesterday, I was positively pelted by small, leaping demons. Some might call them "grasshoppers" but this week — when they're in the middle of their annual August hysteria — I'm calling them "the things that torture me on my walk and make me startle a greater number of times than I did when I watched The Shining." 

I don't like flicking them off my face. 

(Thankfully, they only hit the face target once.) 

Happy August! 


Summer's End
by Karen Edmisten

August, morning walk.
The grasshoppers' pole vaulting, 
a season shifting.

~~~~~~~~~~

The Poetry Friday round-up this week is being hosted by the charming and wonderful Denise Krebs at Dare to Care

17 comments:

  1. Karen, your description of grasshoppers as small, leaping demons makes me feel sorry for you. This is bug biting season and I came home from our family beach vacation with red, itchy blotches that turned out to be chiggers in the sand that attacked me. My dermatologist came to my defense with a steroid cream to stop the itchiness but it still goes on. Your haiku is to the point in a poetic way. I hope your grasshopper demons do not disturb you on future walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, thank you for all that sympathy! :) I will send it right back to you regarding the chiggers. Chiggers are the REAL demons — awful! I was bitten by a bunch of them one summer and it was not fun. I hope you are de-itched soon!

      Delete
  2. Oh, my goodness. I don't mind a rerun at all! So fun. I can see (and feel) those grasshoppers pole vaulting (what a great metaphor). I'm glad you only got one on your face today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, thanks! I always think that if I’ve forgotten it’s August, the end-of-summer proliferation of grasshoppers will remind me of precisely what time of year it is. :D

      Delete
  3. Those crackly, dry bodies are a bit creepy when they hit with the force of their weight. I agree. Pole vaulting is a great description of the little (big) buggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. You’ve made me want to write a poem using “crackly” and “dry”!

      Delete
  4. He he small leaping demons. :) No one likes a grasshopper in the face! (Aside: we've been watching Australia:ALONE on Netflix. Those midgies are relentless! I couldn't take it.) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene, we love ALONE! But I haven’t seen the Australia season. Adding it to the TBW!

      Delete
  5. I haven't seen one here, Karen, & from your description, guess I should be thankful! I imagine it's because of no moisture? Sorry for the challenge of those "pole vaulters''!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And he looks so dignified in the photo -- a little nod of the head and be on his way sort of creature. Shame on him for pelting you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your "vaulting grasshopper" poem and photo but am sorry he is bothering you:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Be glad for your abundance of grasshoppers. They are rare here now. I saw my first one of the summer yesterday evening when we took a little walk to the park. They used to be everywhere. (Never had one in the face. I might not be so nostalgic if I had!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love thinking about grasshoppers pole vaulting! August is also so noisy! Last night the bug symphony was so loud, but beautiful in its own way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. * Linda B. and Mary Lee, I'm sorry (after all my complaining, ha) that you haven't been seeing grasshoppers. That kind of change in the environment/ecological system is never a *good* sign.

    * Patricia, isn't that a great photo? I was happy to find it at Pixabay. :) I love your description. You should turn that into a poem.

    * Mona, thanks for the sympathies! :)

    * Rose, I do love the noisiness of August. The crickets and cicadas here lend a very specific feel to this time of year. Before my husband retired from teaching, the growing cacophony of bug song was a harbinger of his return to work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pole vaulting really is the perfect word here. It's interesting to consider how signals of seasonal change vary from place to place. We certainly don't have vaulting grasshoppers here, but the cicadas are singing summer's swan song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly, the cicadas have been banding together and singing in full force here too. Musical August nights!

      Delete
  12. I love this! I didn't see it the first time around, so no repeat for me! Love the haiku - but sorry they hit your face! Yuck! We had a grasshopper try to hitch a ride on our car at the end of July - the hysteria must have been occuring early here! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete