Thursday, May 18, 2023

Poetry Friday: Love After Love by Derek Walcott



Do you know what's lovely about getting older? Finding out what a forgiving friend you can be to yourself, what a good friend you've been to you. Discovering, in the last oh-so-many years, that you have painted a sprawling and gorgeous picture, written a story that was worth preserving. 

You have loved others your whole life. Now Derek Walcott and I are reminding you to love you, too. After all, aren't you the one who persevered and made it this far? Feast, reflect, and keep going. 


Love After Love
by Derek Walcott

The time will come
when, with elation,
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror,
and each will smile at the other’s welcome,
and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
....

(Read the rest — and listen to the poem being read by Jon Kabat-Zinn — here, at The Marginalian. Or go here, to NPR, to hear another lovely reading by Tom Hiddleston.) 

18 comments:

Lou Piccolo said...

Karen, how timely for me. I turned 50 this year and, while I’m not elderly and should have many years ahead of me, I definitely identify with this sentiment. Time teaches, and this fact is a delightful one to learn.

Anonymous said...

I tend to do a lot of remembering these days. I love Walcott's advice to "feast on your life." Thanks for sharing this important reminder.

Janice Scully said...

Oh, how touching this is for me! "Greet yourself arriving at your own door." Lovely. I think people don't focus enough or deny the gifts that come with the gift of getting older. Thank you for sharing this amazing Walcott poem!

Irene Latham said...

Feast, reflect, and keep going. Age brings many gifts, I find. The biggest, maybe: I worry a lot less about what people think...and I don't have the time/energy/patience to be anyone but myself! xo

Linda B said...

Thank you, Karen, a loving note from you and from Walcott makes this cloudy morning bright!

jama said...

Lovely reading Walcott's poem again. I can't be reminded enough of his truth, so eloquently stated.

Anonymous said...

I love this poem. Love "you will love again the stranger who was your self" - such encouragement.

Linda Mitchell said...

oh, my goodness..this brought tears to my eyes. Thank you, Karen. This poem is exactly what I needed right now.

Karen Edmisten said...

Lou, time teaches indeed. :)

Karen Edmisten said...

My pleasure!

Karen Edmisten said...

Delighted to share it, Janice. Yes, so many gifts that come with the years.

Karen Edmisten said...

Irene, it's so freeing, isn't it? :)

Karen Edmisten said...

❤️ :)

Karen Edmisten said...

Jama, yes, it's always a welcome and lovely reminder, isn't it?

Karen Edmisten said...

Yes, things to look forward to. :)

Karen Edmisten said...

Oh, Linda, I'm so glad. ❤️ xo

Anastasia Suen said...

Wow! I love this line: "You will love again the stranger who was your self."

Karen Edmisten said...

Yes, so good!