Thursday, May 20, 2021

Poetry Friday: Congratulations to Marvelous Mary Lee!


Mary Lee Hahn is retiring and the whole Poetry Friday-o-sphere is congratulating, celebrating, and honoring this queen among poets, teachers, and PF schedulers/organizers. 

I've known Mary Lee online for a longish time. I think I started participating in Poetry Friday in 2006 or 2007, and I'm sure I "met" her early on. We've never met in person, but I've visited her online home so many times that I know I can kick off my shoes when I'm visiting and spending time with this kindred spirit. 

In honor of Marvelous Mary Lee, I'm sharing a few haiku that I wrote for her. Congratulations, friend, on a marvelous career. May retirement bring you new poetic joys! 

~~~~~~~~~~


Poet Mary Lee: 
a teacher, mentor, and friend,
crafter of wordscapes. 

An original. 
Empathy and compassion, 
evident always. 

Scheduler for all. 
So kind when I am tardy 
for PF sign-up. 

Mary Lee retire? 
Congratulations, but please ... 
don't go far away? 


~~~~~~~~~~


16 comments:

Irene Latham said...

Haiku for Mary Lee! Perfectly wonderful in every single way. Thank you, Karen! xo

Denise Krebs said...

Karen, what fun! You haiku are great to honor the person of the day!
This phrase is beautiful:
"crafter of wordscapes"

jama said...

Yes, these haiku are the perfect way to honor ML! Love the "crafter of wordscapes"! She does indeed inspire us all with her empathy and compassion.

tanita✿davis said...

Indeed, a "crafter of wordscapes" - we lose a bit of the landscape if she vanishes! But, since her bio describes her as a "poet-in-training," I suspect we'll have her around for a bit more.

Linda B said...

Wonderful haiku that covers all those important parts, Karen! I love the 'don't go far away'!

Linda Mitchell said...

Exactly the sentiments I was trying to capture...I don't want this party to end. Well done.

Karen Edmisten said...

Thanks, all! What a fun roundup this week. :)

Tabatha said...

"crafter of wordscapes"--love it!

Carol Varsalona said...

Karen, your line "crafter of wordscapes" popped out at me in your delightful poem.

Ruth said...

Lovely tributes.

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

You've summed her up beautifully in these little haiku gems, Karen.

Karen Edmisten said...

Tabatha, Carol, Ruth, and Michelle, thank you so much!

Bridget Magee said...

These wee haiku pack a wallop of Mary Lee love, Karen. :)

Karen Edmisten said...

And she so deserves it. :) Thanks, Bridget!

Mary Lee said...

Yes, we've been Poetry Friday peeps since the early years when Kelly Herold (big a little a) was running the show! Thank you for this collection of haiku. I'll try to continue to live into "crafter of wordscapes!"

Karen Edmisten said...

Yes, the Kelly Herold days! :D And I remember when Kim (Hiraeth) designed the Poetry Friday button. :)

I have no doubt that you'll continue to craft all kinds of beauty!