Thursday, April 08, 2021

Poetry Friday: Today by Billy Collins


Soon, so very soon, I want a day such as this one. 



Today 
 by Billy Collins 

 If ever there were a spring day so perfect, 
 so uplifted by a warm intermittent breeze 
 that it made you want to throw 
 open all the windows in the house 
 and unlatch the door to the canary's cage, 
 indeed, rip the little door from its jamb,
....

 (Read the rest here, at the Poetry Foundation.) 

~~~~~~~~~~

The anything-but-indifferent Tabatha is hosting the round-up this week 

10 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

Ah, Billy Collins on a sunny Spring morning. This is that kind of perfect day, indeed. *chef's kiss*

Ruth said...

Today totally was that kind of day here. I hope you get that kind of days soon!

Linda B said...

Yes, free everything! I'm sitting here reading Billy's words & watching kids outside in the green space playing with those foam bazooka guns, running like the world is chasing them. I love Billy Collins, am reading his latest & that too is good. Enjoy the weekend!

Alan j Wright said...

Love the analogy between spring and freedom in Billy Collins' poem. Good choice Karen.

Tabatha said...

We had a stormy day and one of the trees behind us was hit by lightning! More of a dog-hiding-in-the-bathroom day than a set-the-canary-loose day. I just love the way Billy can describe something as seemingly difficult to describe as people coming out of a snow globe with apparently no effort at all.

Buffy Silverman said...

Oh that hammer to the paperweight--that makes me smile, as does these perfect spring days.

Cathy said...

I know this day! You're going to make me go grab my Billy Collins poetry and spend a little time on my patio. Thank you for shining a light on this poem at such a perfect time.

Mary Lee said...

Today is shaping up to be a "this day" kind of day!

Christie Wyman said...

Today is indeed "this day" here in Boston. So lovely. Thank you!

Karen Edmisten said...

Oh, so happy to share this day with all of you, and these perfect spring days are comin' up soon in my neighborhood! :)